Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help understanding sentence

• 18-10-2022 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Would like some opinions one what this sentence says on this handwritten document from 1842. Not sure of the third word or the last word. The John O'Donnell referred to would have been born circa 1705 and lived in South Tipperary.

"Came to south on the great mocla"

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

This is another post that should be in the handwriting thread.

Also, some context as to the nature of the document will help others to help you.

Regards, Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

Context wise. It was genealogical research carried out in the 1840's. The page lists some family trees, the names of which taken from people that were visited. So, its a page that just lists some family trees, names only.

The attached family tree was given by a Richard O'Donnell of Cashel in 1842, regarding O'Donnells that lived near Fethard and Ballyclerihan, Tipperary. It starts at John O'Donnell born about 1705 and lists his children and then another generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

Could "great mocla" be a reference to Grangemockler?

Thanks for the suggestion however I think it unlikely but will keep it in mind

"Mocla" must be phonetic I would imagine or have as Gaeigle connection

Re Mocla/ Mocta/ Mochta, assuming the O'Donnells came from Donegal area, maybe a reference to a large scale migration, perhaps post Kinsale and the plantation. Just a theory, and maybe just a family myth.

I have never heard of any such migration, or any use of the word Mocla, I think almost certainly from the Irish, no idea what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭chooseusername

There's a Mocklerstown over there between Clerihan and Rosegreen,

a couple of miles from Barrettstown, John's Address.

The Mockler family was a large landowner around the area at that time;

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

I would be doubtful about the interpretation of the word(s) after South as "on the". To my eyes, this looks more like a single word, i.e. "castle". Everywhere else in the sample given the words are spaced well apart, why would "onthe" be run together?

I see on the OSI map that there is/was a castle ruin in Mocklerstown towmland. Maybe he came to "South castle great Mocla" i.e. to the castle in Mocklerstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Maybe he came to "South castle great Mocla"

Or maybe came to finish castle....?

Thanks for the additional comments and yes, to be honest I have never been convinced of the thrid or fouth/fith words, "south on the".

I agree "on the" could very well be one word.

I have attached a few more images from the same page for further review if anyone is still interested!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Is it possible to provide better quality images?

Some of the writing is slightly out of focus.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hmm, not sure. The quality does look a 'little' better on my computer. Its probably something to do with the upload. Does it make a difference if I "upload image" or "upload file". I'll do both here.

Here are another two shots of the same page.

Advertisement