Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car suggestions (used)

Options
  • 18-10-2022 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone

Me and my wife have recently received our learners permits and are looking for our first car.

I am not a big fan of cars so I am completely disoriented and would love to hear any advice.

What we need:

1) automatic.

2) economy car (hybrid would be awesome should it be substantially more economical)

3) reliable

4) some parking support (a cam with sensors)

We are planning to use it only in a few scenarios (mostly after getting full license) :

- weekend shopping

- weekend hiking all around Ireland (as a dream - taking our bikes with us for some nice trails).

- a trip to UK.

Therefore would love it compact, but not too compact to feel uncomfortable on the motorways.

As for the price - I want it be the best value for money. Definitely don't wanna spend more than 15k and the usual rule "the cheaper the better" applies, but also don't wanna buy a bag of bolts. Need something to serve its purpose as a weekend only car.

Any advice (model/ mileage/ year/ fuel type) is welcome as I don't know practically anything about buying a used car (except for "buy from the dealer" personal rule)

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭User1998

Sounds like you need a diesel car, not a hybrid. Your doing lots of long distance driving where a diesel will be more fuel efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is very little value in the second hand car market these days. If you need a car then you will have to buy at today's prices but your 15k won't go as far, used cars were way cheaper pre Covid-19/Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They're just doing weekend work. Don't see how that justifies a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭User1998

This thread is from 6 months ago so no longer relevant.

But if they are driving cross country on a weekly basis, thats easily upwards of 25,000km a year on the motorway, not even including the daily driving. Of course that warrants a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭monseiur

No wishing to rain on your parade, but I note that neither you or your wife have a full licence (just a learners permit) By law you will have to be accompanied by a person with a full licence when driving on the public road. Unless you can arrange this (even at weekends) buying a car at this stage would be pointless & costly. Apply for driving test a.s.a.p. and in the meantime take the required driving lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 638 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Why are people dragging up 6 month old threads where the OP has never come back?

Advertisement