Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball on path rule

Options
  • 17-10-2022 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the rule for a ball on a path. Always thought it was a local rule and is nearly on every single card. Played recently and no sign of rule on card so I played it off the path

just wondering if it might now be an official rule

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

If the path has an artificial surface then you are entitled to relief as it is an immovable obstruction. There is no need for a local rule.

The exception is if the club declare paths to be Integral Objects. e.g. St Andrews. Then free relief is not available

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Just in case you were thinking this is a recent rule change, I did a quick bit of research.

Looks like this rule was introduced in 1976. I know you took up golf at a young age but it wasn't that long ago 😃

Advertisement