Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOB/provisional ball

Options
  • 17-10-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Hi, what’s the thinking of this scenario?

Take 2nd shot on par 5 that looks like has gone OOB on the right.

Hit declared provisional ball, ends up short of where original ball suspected OOB so declare will hit provisionally in case first one is ok, ends up on the green (with 5 taken).

Find original ball. White stake about 20foot behind ball. No white stake in front of ball. Nearest stake is a red one for water in front of green and is “in line” with white stake behind ball about 75yards away

Much discusssion re if OOB or not. I decided to hack out original ball, next hit had it on the green (in my head with 4 taken).

Decided to play both pending a ruling decision. 2 putted both for a 6 for original ball and a 7 for provisional.

Checked along line of white/red stakes and no sign of any fallen/pulled stakes

Asked in pro shop (club captain was there) and thought was good with original ball play BUT was surprised the white stakes didn’t continue to the red stake at water and not sure re playing both isn’t deemed an advantage and could be penalties for that.

Was not a comp. Was a “cup match” that me and 3 buddies play every year…which I lost by a point (in fairness screwed up many more shots then this that cost me including drive on par 3 ending 2 foot from hole…3 puts later it goes in, still having nightmares about that)

Anyhow, what you all think? Right with original ball or not?

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Few things, you can play two balls (and get a ruling later) in stroke play. Seems you were playing stableford, that's a form of stroke play.

If you described it as a "cup match" as you did above, the Pro and Captain may have thought it was match play. You're not allowed to play two balls in match play.

There should be no assumption that oob continues in a line from the final white stake to the red stake afaik. If it did, there should be a white stake up beside that red stake.

It looks like it was a case of the course being poorly marked.

To summarise, you shouldn't have 3 putt from 2 feet.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Well that's your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If I was playing with you I'd be saying that not OOB, and if it was my ball no way I'd entertain it being OOB. Out of bounds should be marked with stakes and white line/paint.

If there was no OOB markers ahead of you then I'd be considering the OOB area behind you, and work away.

Advertisement