Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a basic PC for family

Options
  • 16-10-2022 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭

Probably storage request as not going to be used for jaming. Just for Microsoft office probably some Netflix and web browsing

Probably go for Micro ATX and a CPU with onboard graphics. And fit the lot in a small case. I suppose it would be nice if it could be Windows 11 compatible but not a deal breaker.

I have also been thinking of maybe buying one of those ex business Dell Optiplex or HP Elitedesk PCs which can be had cheap not sure what folks think of those.

One small complication I do have one of those Korean no name branded Samsung 1440p monitors that were all the rage 7 or 8 years ago it has one input which is DVI dual link connection on it probably can buy a display port to DVi adaptor if needed or just buy a new monitor.

So just looking for any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

Whats your budget .

I honestly wouldnt recomend a old office pc . Your on about 7-10 year processors which even your phone would make look slow . None of them will be windows 11 compatible as they more modern processors are a requirement .

If you want something for netflix and office buy a cheap PC from currys or something . Can get an acer aspire with an I5 and a Itb HDD . Plenty of power foir what you need and it is windows 11 compatible .

Or alternatively minisforum UM350 SMall compact and can be hidden away behind a monitor . As for your monitor there should be a hdmi port on it . IF not you will need an adapter .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks @cornholio509 I suppose around 500 would be budget I'd prefer to build myself rather then buy something from Curry's

I suppose question would be if going down the build it myself would be to begin with a decent CPU with integrated graphics Motherboard combo with some upgrade path for graphics card CPU upgrade at a later stage. If that makes sense

I 100% understand what you want to do .

AMD b550 motherboard , Ryzen 5 5600g , 16 GB of ram , 256gb ssd , 500W psu , NZXT H510i flow PC case roughly around 550 euro range . Yes the processor has a built in GPU . Now The good point about this setuup is the motherboards . SOme brands have display ports aswell as HDMI ports . You just need to be diligent while looking at motherboards .

However if it was my build i would put another 250 euro onto the budget . Get the ryzen 5600x and a dedicated GPU like the AMD 6500XT . AMDs integreated GPUs are not great .

As for the intel side of things there is a harder story to tell . Raptor lake is launching soon so current INtel processors havent Dropped in price . FOr an equilevent INtel based PC you gonna be spending 200 to 300 euro more . AMD just launched a new socket and CPUs so prices on AMD processors dropped.

Note : Shop around for deals on PC parts . Dont assume amazon is the cheapest . ALso prices i gave dont include windows 10 or 11

You do not need a dedicated GPU for a Netflix machine.

• Advertisement

Are you here just to troll . Seriously if you cant read my post and have nothing to add just dont make a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Bozo is he wrong? I would be in favour of OP getting a CPU that supports windows 11 but KO is just spitting facts here. Are you saying you need a dedicated GPU to watch Netflix? Are you watching it in 8k or something???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

NO Snake plisken asked for an upgrade path to a GPU later on . I gave him a spec for a system with an IGPU on the AMD side as intels CPUs havent had a price drop yet . ALmost a 300 euro difference in cost . I then told him if it was my build i would put in a 5600x instead and get a 6500xt . BTW still cheaper when compared to a comprable intel chip with an IGPU . Everything i listed above is windows 11 compatible .

Maybe i was a bit overzealous calling him a troll . He may not have read the rest of the posts or he maybe took things out of context . Either way no one stated anything about needing a GPU for netflix .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jon Doe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Jon Doe

Don't you just hate when people try to read your emails as quickly as possible, fail to even get the gist and then judge you based on their misunderstanding of your ideas?... I hate when that happens... 😵

Eh, so you end up with 12 Gb (4+8).

In a machine like this, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't overthink this if it's just for web browsing and Netflix. My parents have an ancient 9 year old i5 mini PC for that purpose and it's still fine, it's a 2nd gen i5 from 2012 with 8GB ram and a basic SSD.

You mentioned wanting to add in a graphics card but also said it's not for gaming, there's really no need, the iGPU will do everything you need.

You can walk into Currys and pick this up for 420 and it'll last years.

Talk of a 5600X and a 6500XT for an office and Netflix machine is complete pointless overkill. At that point you're just building a gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sorry lads didn't want to cause any hassle, just looking at all options I'd ignore my Netflix comment probably used for Office Web browsing YouTube, online courses some old games like The Sims 3 and The Sims 4.

Would be nice if it ran run Windows 11

So just looking at all options, could cheap out on a old or not so old Optiplex with say a 9th gen i3 or i5

Or a Matx with a CPU with integrated graphics with an option to upgrade the graphics card in the future.

I should say that the current PC is a home build one from 2007 Intel based in a massive Coolermaster case. On wheels Just looking to get rid of that for smaller form factor so micro ATX case or SFF business machine.

I appreciate all suggestions from you all

Advertisement