Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart TV Ethernet Speeds

Options
  • 16-10-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have a Sony smart TV. The detectable WiFi strength at the TV's location is not consistent and sometimes cuts in and out. Signal strength is fine with my phone.

So I connect via ethernet but can't seem to get more that 12mbs download whereas I can get 30mbs over WiFi. I connected my laptop earlier and got 40mbs over the ethernet line so it's not the wiring or the modem. Does anyone know is there some restriction on the TV? TV is new XR75X90JU.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Do you have a way of checking the link speed on the router or switch? Sounds like the TV only has 100 Mb Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bprend

Hi Glaceon, thanks for your response.

The cable is plugged direct into the router. When test line with my laptop I can get much higher speeds X3. Is this what you mean?

Yes, I figured it would be 100mb ethernet but does this explain why I only get 10-12mbps when I get 40mbps on my laptop? I can also get much higher over WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It’s important to keep in mind the difference between megabits and megabytes as that might explain what’s going on here or completely dismiss it. 100 megabit (small b) Ethernet can deliver a maximum of about 12 megabytes (capital B) per second. A speedtest would show about 90 megabits or so in this case.

It’s possible that the TV has 100 Mb Ethernet but supports a faster Wi-Fi standard. I have one of the Freesat 4K boxes and that’s definitely the case with it, 100 Mb wired but ac Wi-Fi which could get about 400 Mb or so.

Advertisement