Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our own aquarium hobbyist resource thread?

Options
  • 15-10-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks - long story short I just got into the hobby a few months back and this is pure addiction aha (I just shared some pics of my tanks there).

I learnt so much in the past 3 months, lots of reading and youtube on keeping animals/plants (types of turtles/fishes/snails/shrimps and all these unpronounceable aquatic plants aha), and the technical stuffs like tank cycling/filtration, lightning, maintenance etc. I did some 'local exploration' as well, basically visited all the main fresh/marine water pet shops in Dublin (including a few that is in city center).

Surprisingly the "aquarist" hobby is not that niche at all - I would say it is actually somewhat popular aha (there must be about 20 small/big pet shops with fishes in Dublin).

So I thought maybe we could have our own aquarium hobbyist resource thread? I would to hear what/where do people go shop etc ha.

1) LFS (local fish shop): my closest LFS is Pet Palace on Parnell street. Overall I would say they are not bad for being such a small shop that is not even specialized in fishes. They only have the most common (fresh water) fishes so don't expect much while they actually have competitive prices on fish tank, filter accessories, and wood/rock for scaping. Good for small hobbyist or when you need emergency purchase (some of their prices could be better than Amazon). Interestingly they are Tropica's partner so I could order any uncommon plants from them (takes like 2-3 weeks to arrive).

2) Seahorse Aquarium (Ballymount): My no.1 hobby shop goes to them. Fair play to the lads there as they come across as the most professional place for the hobby. The prices are definitely on the high side but you could get almost everything there and with sound advice as well. Applicable for both fresh/marine water. I would recommend them if you have money to splash, or looking for something unique - I would still visit once in a while (some distance to get there lol). Actually, I found their aquatic plants prices are actually decently prices with a good selection (that is what i bought last visit). Their loyalty programme looks great if you are a regular or ordering online ("250e off 50e").

3) Kinselys petstore: where I got my Musk turtles. I actually really like them as they have a nice operation going there - impressive reptile+fish section, a few of the guys are knowledgeable there (you could talk and ask questions) and their prices are fair (sometimes you get a good deal depends on what you buy, but recently they raised their prices as well :(). Would recommend them as a general visit since there are so much to look at in this family run business aha.

4) Petstop/Maxi zoo (and Pet Republic at Kylemore): to me they are pretty much the same but Maxi zoo have decent prices (for fishes, they also sell plants) and Pet Republic can have some nice price as well (like 6 otos for 15e; and they are the only one who sells turtle other than Kinselys petstore). Petstop in Blanch has this cool marine display that I say it is a must see aha. Maxi zoo in finglas is the one i visited most to date - the guppies apparently are popular and they usually have stock arriving on Friday, so if you need anything you could let them know and order for next week.

Online only:

Amazon.co.uk: The same old amazon - almost all my accessories come from there as the overall prices are the best, and most importantly I could return it easily if anything doesn't suit.

Aquasabi: I went through so many searches and I ended up with this my best online shop for non-live stock stuff. It is a shame the delivery is rather costly (24e) if you ordered any plants/animals from them (they have great selection and offers). For everything else, they likely will have the competitive prices that you will be happy to pay them and deliver to your door. I bought some Dennerle, Chihiros, ADA stuffs from them aha. Check them out if you are looking for something specific and Amazon doesnt have it. The delivery is super impressive (how they packed it environmental friendly, and fast delivery for 7e).

Aquaview (Blanch): You probably know this already if you are into shrimps. This is the best shrimp hobby shop for sure aha, it is rather specialized (but I saw they started selling Betta now). The owner (Lukasz I believe) is great and knowledgeable if you have any questions. The shrimp prices are great for beginners (unlike Seahorse) but not all items are worth it in my opinion (like I would avoid getting some plants there, parts/accessories could be cheaper etc).

I would actually be keen to visit Midland Aquatics but it is rather far out aha. And maybe Seahorse branch at Galway too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Great post, thanks.

Luckily for my bank account, Seahorse Aquariums are the other side of Dublin so most of my business goes to Kinsealy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Cheers! Aha ye we are pretty much a dead town here ha, a shame, maybe I missed the best time for the hobby!

olibetta.com (Netherlands): So ya recently I made my first purchase with them, i would recommend them actually. Competitively prices and delivery service to Ireland (standard 6euro, free when over 80e; no surcharge for shipping plants!) - this is the best priced site for shipping Plants from Europe I have found. The plants selection is not great but good enough and they sold out fast ha.

I see some slight price rise/adjustment across Europe at the moment. I still browse Aquasabi and Garnelio.de often but I doubt i will order from them anytime soon - what a shame, they have some great selection/prices on plants/snails/shrimps but the delivery fees is too high (Aquasabi - 24e if you have any invert/plants in order; Garnelio - 40e ouch) for one to bear i think - so ya if anyone is keen to combine our orders perhaps we can do a group buy together ha.

Just to say that Olibetta has some good discounts at the moment - plants, tanks/set and gravel/sand etc. Aquasabi too, but not much ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

thanks for sharing what are you learning in this months

Aha you are welcome. I am all for supporting local business etc but I also would like to figure out the best bang for bucks method if I am going to stay in this hobby for years to come ha.

So, for getting equipment/fish food (non live stock) wise, Olibetta (80e free shipping to Ireland, otherwise 10/8euro depends on how close you are to 80e) and Aquasabi (150e free shipping is abit high but the usual 7e shipping is great) are the kings I am sure at this stage. Fast, reliable, great discounts (especially the Black Friday week; I am going to figure out when do they do significant sales from now on ha), compare both sites when you are ordering different items (Olibetta generally has slightly marked up items compared to Aquasabi but Olibetta carries more products). The standard delivery is fast enough also, incredible and competitive prices sites.

For getting plants:

I tried twice from Olibetta (ended up wasting my time as pot plants were destroyed) - if I were to order again I would try to go for express delivery.

Tried Aquasabi once (24e express delivery is an ouch) - but I have to compliment their amazing packaging, I am sure they learnt from their experience to only allowing express delivery for certain countries. All plants arrived in perfect condition (although I would try to only get Tropica plants next time as Aquasabi own brand's plants are not that great lets say...vastly different from the picture lol).

Basically even with the costly express delivery, Aquasabi is the king of online ordering plants, as they have great selection of plants and if you are lucky that they have sales on plants that you want = usually works out cheaper than getting plants at local fish shop (I just hate the waiting time so much and the lack of selection really).

I am going to post some new tanks pics soon as I am having so much fun since christmas holiday ha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement