Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change of car ownership after seizure?

Options
  • 15-10-2022 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Hi 

I had my car seized today for no tax coming from work which is an hour away, am thinking I can change ownership of it and start a scratch to have it released or it says I can have it towed from the compound back to where I live if am not taxing it?

Now before anyone attacks me am not one of these smart ones because when you are in a bit of a financial situation you tend to take risks until you get that break in your ability to pay every bill which I know only to be doing but this one caught up on me.

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You'll still have to pay the fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

I know that I will have to pay fixed charge fine and compound storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Will they not still come after you for the unpaid tax though? Is the car worth much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can't believe they give the option to take away without taxing. I would have assumed they would insist on taxing up to date you were caught on the road.

If they allow you to tow it away without tax, I don't see why you can't sell it and buy it back after

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭KrakityJones

Was it out for a long time out of interest? Would that make any difference as to leniency?

• Advertisement

It says on the sheet that if you don’t produce 3 of the different documentation for the release cert then it must be removed from the compound by a recovery vehicle a bit confused by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Nothing confusing there.

If you want to drive it out of the compound, you'll have to have tax , insurance and NCT.

If you're missing any or all of those items you can't drive the car on the public road, so in that instance, your car will have to go on the back of a lorry/trailer.

Tax in my case and on the back of the lorry to where?

No civil servant here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

To somewhere that is private property. e.g. off the road in your driveway, private yard, garage.

If it doesn't have current tax, insurance and NCT you could get another fine or have it seized again if it is in a public place.

• Advertisement

Ok so it’s towed back to my place (private property) and should be left there until taxed by then I will have it changed back into my name.

Ok rules are rules but 125 then 35e charge for everyday after just another example of how to rob the people of this country an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ah hold on now, Not judging but don't complain about the cost of getting caught. You took the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Pay the fines get the car lifted to your house sell it to your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend or other willing party get them to tax it for 3 months then buy it back and drive on, you’ll have 2 extra owners on the book but if your not bothered taxing it that probably won’t bother you!

Exactly I wouldn’t be that bothered if I was next to my work that’s the biggest inconvenience but hey it should be lesson well learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Odelay

Errm asking for a friend.. how long was it out of tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

What a load of total bullsh1t

My guess is that you are one of these xenophobic stupid people that rant on a bar stool whilst spending your dole money

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ok so it’s towed back to my place (private property)

Towed as in pulled or towed as in lifted on a flatbed? They would rightfully not allow it to be released if your plan was to drag it home with two wheels on the road if it was not road legal.

That's unfortunate OP it's likely the height tax bracket pre 08 diesel which effects the lower paid or young driver I mean €710 a year for a 1.9 etc.

Just change the log book and tow it to your house. Bit of loss really but sure what can you do.might cost a hundred or so to how etc but what can you do.

Ignore the begrudgery on here and those that judge.

Typical of a boards thread a load of smart judgement bollocks and few decent replies with information.

Endemic of Ireland today.

Best of luck with it a year is impressive to be untaxed!

Thanks for the heartwarming comment 😊

Yeah suit those cops better to go out and fight real crime rather than coming after an easy target in taking a car off a working family man coming from work and just send me on with a fixed charge penalty.

So because it’s in my wife’s name I think she has to be present with the log book to get the release cert and the other documentation are left in the car NCT, Insurance even though I produced my Insurance when stopped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You didn’t tax your car for nearly a year, and somehow feel the Gardai wronged you by enforcing the law?

Don’t make a bad situation worse by being more stupid. Pay the fine/storage charge, tax your car and get on with work.

That’s right it’s quite a lapse to be that lenient on me and I do hope your never in a bit of a financial struggle so much so that you also commit the biggest crime of all 😉

I understand you are struggling, and am sorry to hear that, but blaming the Gardai for taking an untaxed car off the road is childish. You are at fault here, not them. Driving an untaxed car for a year isn’t an oversight deserving of leniency, you would have continued to do so unless you were caught.

Accept responsibility, pay what you owe, move on.

Why not just tax it yourself? How does having someone else own it after you committed the offence change anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If the car hasn't been seized, if you change ownership then the new owner is not liable for any tax arrears that may be in existence.

A loophole that I'm surprised they haven't closed, tbh.

However if the car is seized, either the arrears must be cleared or the car has to be towed away from the pound, and then presumably OP will change ownership. But either way, the fine and storage fees have to be paid.

I find it hard to believe that less than a year's arrears would cost less than a tow wagon, unless you happen to have a handy friend with one?

And yes, the "gardai should be fighting real crime" line does the OP no favours whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Technically the insurance will be in the wrong name, so flip the ownership then flip it back again.

I did it for a while years ago when I bought a beast of car for secondary use with massive tax.

You could also go in and get the cops to stamp it as being off the road. That must be done in advance now.

And when taxing a car in your own name for the first time now you need to submit your actual insurance documents.

I don’t know how much the tow would cost unless of course my breakdown assistance could come in there which is very unlikely in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Looks like it would be cheaper just to have taxed the car all along than to be paying your fines, towing and storage charges over the years. Think of all the hassle you’d have saved yourself too.

I once had to retrieve a leased car that had been towed from the pound out in Santry. The guy in the booth I was dealing with was the worst jobsworth I ever came across. I had to make two journeys ( from the other side of the city) as he insisted I had every document with me, and insisted on the originals, not copies. The lease company had to reluctantly send the original certificate of registration up from cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement