Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick farm kitten who is making me and other pet ill

Options
  • 15-10-2022 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey there guys. I am new here and I need some help and advice. I recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) got a new kitten from a farm and he was about 6 weeks old. He looked quite sick when I got him, so I took him to the vet at the next available opportunity - he was diagnosed with cat flu, conjunctivitis, ear mites, lice etc. The vet got him sorted for whatever he saw fit. Just a few days ago, I started to get a rash all over my body, which looks like it might be ringworm, I then noticed that my dog had some skin issues as well (swollen, crusty bumps). I took my dog to a vet just the other day, and I was told it was some parasites ie lice, fleas, and was prescribed some anti parasite treatment. Has anyone dealt with anything similar? I really want to get the kitten better, but also not affecting my other pet and myself - has anyone dealt with something similar and has some advice. The advice and diagnosis I got from my local vet was not helpful.

Post edited by DBB on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

All these issues are common when kittens are born to a mother who has never been brought to a vet or treated for parasites.

I would go to another vet tbh. All these are treatable but cat flu can relapse and need more treatment. Did the vet look at the kitten under a UV light for ringworm? It easily passes to humans and other animals but is treatable. Lice are species specific so won't spead to humans or dogs.

The poor kitten probably needs antibiotics as cat flu generally leads to a secondary bacterial infection, eye drops for the conjunctivitis, treatment for the mites, lice and ringworm (if diagnosed) and to have a course of worming tablets.

If it is ringworm treat all pets and humans in the house at the same time, and follow all advice for the other conditions. Be prepared for a couple of vet visits as you get this sorted. One of the biggest problems with cat flu is loss of appetite as their sense of smell is affected and the kitten will be feeling miserable, warm the food slightly if necessary to make it smell stronger.

Good luck to you and kitten. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,143 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not all vets are interested in or concerned about small animals, they deal almost exclusively with farm animals. I had a bad experience with a vet who really was not capable of dealing with something as small as a cat. As the previous poster says, find another vet, especially one that advertises that they deal with small animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 owlcat

Thanks for your input. I did end up going to a vet 3 times, and the last time I went to a different one, who seemed more competent or at least more interested in helping me. The last vet confirmed ringworm in both the kitten and my dog. So now I'm treating the whole household for ringworm.

It was frustrating, as I paid a hefty amount the first 2 times to a local vet practice who didn't really help me much.

The kitten has already been treated with antibiotic eye drops, antibiotic/steroid shot, lice treatment and now ringworm ointments on top of that.

Don't think i've ever come across a kitten as sick as the poor fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It can take time for ringworm symptoms to become obvious, especially on a darker-haired cat.

I hope your kitten responds well to treatment and fair play to you for caring (and paying!). Many sickly kittens unfortunately die in their first few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Advertisement
Advertisement