Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOBO+CPU

Options
  • 15-10-2022 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Looking at building a new all white PC using a Thermaltake View 51 snow white case. I was going to go for an ASUS rog Maximus z690 formula Intel LGA 1700 ATX motherboard. What CPU and CPU all in one liquid cooler in white will fit this motherboard ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why the heck would you spend 750+ on a motherboard that's for an outdated CPU line?

List your budget & usage, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

How is it outdated ? Budget is about 2500 euro Usage is for gaming

Z690 is for Intel 12th-gen. But 13th-gen (Raptor Lake) is launching next week (20th October 2022).

But for gaming, IMHO don't bother with either. Get a Ryzen 7-5800X3D - it's the best gaming CPU and you can get the full platform (CPU, motherboard + RAM) for less than 900 EUR.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/GYmCKp

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€446.99 @ Caseking)

CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 240 RGB 69.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€114.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: NZXT N7 B550 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€241.21 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€66.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€178.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Thermaltake View 51 Snow ARGB Edition ATX Full Tower Case (€210.18 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€165.72 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1424.95

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-16 01:02 CEST+0200

That leaves you with around 1075 EUR which should buy you an RTX 4080 16Gb when they release next month.

Also, consider the Corsair 4000D Airflow / be quiet 500DX / Cooler Master HAF 500 / Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C RGB instead -- all around half the size (and cost!) of the View 51 but able to fit in the same components for a standard build.

The View 51 only makes sense for showcase PC with a custom watercooling loop IMHO.

• Advertisement

How much will a 13th-gen (Raptor Lake) cost ? what specs are they ?

Leaked specs. But IMHO it doesn't matter because they max at 30-36MB of L3 cache.

The 5800X3D has 96MB of L3 cache. It can outpace its newer Ryzen 7000-series already; it will outpace the Raptor Lake too in most real-world scenarios.

Also, the above build really has too much money put into the AIO & motherboard - I only chose them because they were white.

You could easily reduce the budget by 300EUR by going for a good air cooler + cheaper motherboard: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/V4GxNc

Heck, take that saving & get 32 GB RAM + the best RTX 4080 model you like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

@STEE WHat games do you play or intend to play in the future ? How long do you want the system to last ?

I ask this because i want to gauge what you want out of you PC when you build it . Also going for a white build is going to have a tax on it . Very few manufacturers of PC parts make them white with the exception of ram . WHen they do its usually more expensive . But yes it can be done just be aware of that fact . Tale for insyance a coolermaster AIO 360 rad . 145 wuero in black with RGB fans but the white version is 230 euro . Its cheaper to build a black PC in a Black case and fill it with RGB crap .

IF you want a good midrange setup a Ryzen 5 5600x and a x570 motherboard should cost 350 to 400 euro . gkill 16Gb kit ddr4 is €100 so get 2 kits . Gett a good powersupply and a 370 or 3080 . That should leave enough in your budget to get a case and a itb NVME drive as well as any AIO CPU cooler , plus peripherals .

SHould be good to go for a few years and if you need a faster processor later on you can always buy the ryzen 7 5800x3d later on .

ALso to answer what cooler will go with certain chips . SHort answer they all come with brackets to suit different socket types . IF they dont you buy the cooler and contact the manufacturer ands they will send a new bracket for the just released sockets .

I intend to play games like Call of Duty MW 1 + 2 Battlefield 2042 etc I want a High end system to play at high/ultra settings. I want the system to last me a few years. I have my heart set on building an all white PC because I will be redecorating my bedroom. Will all the following components work together

i9 CPU or the new 13th-gen

ASUS ROG Maximus Formula Intel Z690 LGA 1700 ATX DDR5-SDRAM Motherboard

Cooler master masterliquid ml360l argb v2 white

Corsair Dominator platinum rgb ddr4 or ddr5

ASUS RoG strix geforce rtx 3080 white edition v2 10gb or the ASUS ROG STRIX NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 3090 White OC Edition Gaming Graphics Card 24gb

WesternDigital_black sn850 1tb m.2 2280 pcie gen4 nvme gaming ssd up to 7000 mb/s read speed

ASUS RoG strix 850w white edition psu

Post edited by STEE on

Yeah... no, mate. You're not even close to budget if you go the Intel route. Over 2000 EUR without GPU or case!

• You're over-buying on components that have no impact on games (RGB RAM, PCIe Gen4 SSD).
    • If you're playing high-end you DON'T want to be putting that much budget into the CPU/motherboard because you will be GPU-limited more often.
    • There is literally no point in buying a white PSU - you don't even see it once it's installed!
    • As for GPU, wait 1 month - the RTX 4080 16Gb is due for release on 16. November and will be more "future-proof" than an overpriced 3080.

• Advertisement

Troll account if ever there was one, check the post history.

Either that or a complete AMD fanboy

@STEE

Please research the cost of your parts . ALso biggest is not always best . You have to realize high end I9 and Ryzen 9 processors are a pure waste as you never will utilize their full potential while playing games . THey are more for people building PC's for ELITE STATUS or for actual production usage .

Start with a good GPU . I see you want a RTX3090 so price it shop around and see what you can get one for . GO from there and see what your budget allows . Dont fixate on the highest end CPU . An intel 12700k or a ryzen 5800x3d will be more than enough for at least 5 years . get 16 or 32 gigs of ram and a 1tb NVmE drive and a powersupply to suit your system . THat said i would drop the RTX 3090 and go for a 3080 instead . Again you need to shop around and price things within your budget . I can fire specs for a PC build all day . It wont help you as it wont inform your choices .

Google is your friend here . Look for CPU and GPU benchmarks . see waht CPUs and GPUS youtubers recomend .MAke an informed decission then on what you can realistically get with your budget . ALso remember to watch out for sales and black friday is almost 4 weeks away .

I have found all the parts for cheap prices through google. I also already have a 1000 euro put away for a GPU So, My budget is about 3,500 euro

THen go ham on it mate . Nvidia recomends and 850watt minimum for the entire system with a 3090 . Just so you now to get a good PSU .

LOL What ? How has 16gb or 32gb of ddr4 or ddr5 and an SSD not impact on games ?

• If you're playing high-end you DON'T want to be putting that much budget into the CPU/motherboard because you will be GPU-limited more often
    • What do you mean ?

If I go for a 3090 24gb Do I need an 850 watt or a 1000 watt PSU ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GPU limited is the GPU does all the work so an expensive GPU with a mid range CPU is better than a middle of the range GPU with a top spec CPU.

And another thing people forget is it's all well and good having 350FPS but when your monitor is only 144Hz.

Corsair Dominator Platinum is expensive RAM. But in games (your main use case) it won't perform better than boring DDR4 3200 CAS16 / 3600 CAS18. Moreover, if you buy 5800X3D platform, it has so much L3 cache that it completely negates the need for fast RAM altogether. I could go technical on this but I already linked the buildzoid video.

The same goes for SSD. You don't need a PCIe Gen 4 SSD for games - probably never will. Get a decent PCIe Gen 3 and enjoy twice the storage for the same money.

Also DO NOT BUY A 3090. They cost MORE than the upcoming RTX 4080 and will perform WORSE.

I've listed a build for you. If you want to go and waste money, that's on you.

That depends on you . According to base specs for a 3090 it draws 350watts . WHat kill them is transient load were they can spek to 450 and in some cases 500watts . Thats why nvida recommend 850 watt minimum . there was a problem a while back when the 3090 launched . People presumed their 700 watt PSU was plenty . GPUs got burnt out because of the transient loads . Basically they were gettunbg dirty power . So they recommend the 850watt for the complete systen .

Edit : Going by your specs in online calculators for PSU power 1000watt PSU is probably on the money .

Your system could pull at any one time 817watts . Thats not taking into account fans and an AIO .

DDR4 v ddr5 only has an impact in windows 11 and even at that its marginal . DDR5 hasnt fully matured so dont worry about it buy the DDR4 now . when DDR5 matures and gets cheaper then swap over . SSDs only shorten load times otherwise they dont have an inpact on games .

As for the GPU statement gpu statement just ignore it . It matters not with the specs you want as your FPS iwill be so high you wont even notice it . Yourt gonna be limited by your monitors refresh rate .

REMEBER you are building a "IT WILL DO ME FOR YEARS " PC . not something as a status sysmbol .

I was wondering about this. What refresh rate should I go with for my monitor ? I was thinking of buying an Alienware AW2521HFLA or the Alienware AW2521HFA to use with a PS4, Xbox One X and PC Maybe upgrade to a Alienware AW2721D at some stage to see what 1440p is like

• Advertisement

Also what If I want to connect my PC to a TV to play games at 120 HZ What is the best way to connect ? Is display port the best option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How are you going to connect a display port to a TV. TV's only have HDMI. I connect my PC up to my 120Hz 4K Tv over HDMI but if it is 120 4K you need a certified high speed cable luckily I have one that came with my Xbox Series X.

Is there any monitors out now with HDMI 2.1 ?

@STEE YEs there are monitors that support HDMI 2.1 . Samsung odessy , ASUS rog swift , MSI , ACER predator , LG ultrgear , AOC , benq and so on . I could list them all say long . Its all about the features that they support but as far as i know they are all 4kultra monitors . They will also have a display port connection and probably a usb 3 port or two .

As for playing on a TV thats a different story . IF your tv doesnt support high refresh rates you are out of luck there .

Advertisement