Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview

Options
  • 15-10-2022 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭

So I've had a fair few competency based interviews recently and turns out I really need to improve. Does anyone know any good sites or have any tips? TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dr Karl

Large international firms usually have links on their websites to psychometric interview techniques especially the large accountancy and investment banking firms eg EY, Grant Thornton, Morgan Stanley (not BOI, AIB or PTSB). Look at their US and UK websites not just the Irish ones. Also look at the UK civil services and EU (you can ignore the language requirements) recruitment documents maybe Canada as well. It has been years since I was on the EU website but I had a link at the time and they has very relevant samples that actually applied to the roles unlike the Irish civil service. That is why i don't recommend it, anyway I believe the Irish have outsourced it now. (If you can't find it maybe contact an Irish MEP they might be able to help.) Try the big well known US universities like MIT's Sloan Business School or their neighbors at the Harvard Business School or University of Chicago Booth Business School or in the UK Saïd Business School at Oxford. Easons use to sell books on the topic usually UK based but still useful to Ireland, they probably still do I haven't looked for a while. Practice will help. And as Roy Keane said fail to prepare, prepare to fail. One thing I will add is do not over think them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This article https://www.recruiters.ie/blog/competency-based-interview-questions/ Isn’t a bad summary of what to expect in an interview. Your answers really depend on your experience. You could take on experiences not lived by you but be very careful if you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ask what the competencies are in advance if they're not listed in the ad/jon spec and have real-world examples for each prepared in advance. Take notes and bring them with you to the interview - it amazes me how many people don't do this. Also have a copy of your CV with you and highlight (as in, physically, with a highlighter marker) the areas where you've demonstrated those competencies in previous jobs so you can find them at a glance.

When you're talking through your examples, use either the SMART or STAR techniques to describe them to keep it relevant and on-track.

Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely.

Situation/Task, Action, Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Advertisement

Advertisement