Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old sterling notes

Options
  • 14-10-2022 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I found Sterling notes I had from 2 years ago and we are to go to the UK next Thursday. How do I change them for newer notes as I understand my ones cannot be used in the UK now? Will I have to pay commission if I can change in a bank and will I lose any value? I am a Bank of Ireland customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

You can change in a bank branch , any bank. No charge / commission you will receive like for like but just in plastic notes.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Laura99

Not with bank of Ireland, you’ll be charged for lodging them. They were swapping them like for like until the end of sept. Now they’ve gone out of commission, they are back charging for the swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Can I go to another bank without having an account with them and get them changed there instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

If it's less than 300, I think you can swap them at certain post offices in the UK and anything more at Bank of England hq in London.

Don't think anyone here is swapping them now (AIB are lodge to account and post office aren't swapping them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You can simply walk into any UK bank branch and they will exchange them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was in the UK at the end of august and any bank that I asked to change the notes for me required me to have an account in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The notes were fully valid in every retail shop then. Why would you need to change them?

If it was a large amount, it would be different, but £200-£300 will not be an issue.

Here's info from the post office

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/banknote-exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi homer1982.

Thanks for getting in touch with us

Old Sterling notes can still be accepted to be lodged to a BOI account at our full service branches.

Notes must be bought in and lodged to the account using the relevant buy-rate and if you want polymer notes they must be sold out at the relevant sell-rate. Commission will be charged and this can be discussed with our cashier's on the day.

Thanks,

Declan

Advertisement