Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV with no electricity?

Options
  • 13-10-2022 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Strange one, I have no electricity or wifi. Asking a neighbour is not an option.

I thought about a dongle, but then i have to go and charge it probably every day?!

Can anyone think of any way I can put CCTV up or any kind of gadgets i could get with sim cards in them etc?

Much appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I've done it by using a solar panel that charges a car battery, which in turn powers a 4G dongle and Yi Outdoor camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Thanks for the response, cant believe there is not many options

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well the Arlo cameras use long life recharging batteries, so power to the camera would be covered but its not designed for constant monitoring, low power operatiopn. You can get a router with a sim card for connectivity, however powering it would be an issue. As mentioned above there are stations with solar, mini wind turbine and a battery that could do this but they are not cheap.

another option would be similar to the arlo cameras but with a SD card, you'd have to physically call to site to replace the battery and download the content though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Does it have to be moving pictures?

You can get hunting trail cameras which take photos on motion and have a built in SIM. A quick google came up with three or four Irish sellers.

They're battery powered or can take an external 12V like a car battery. Some have a solar panel to top up ther charge.

Battery life depends on activity and some of them do video clips as well.

Advertisement