Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower Decks 3x08 - 'Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 13-10-2022 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭

Lower Decks 3x08 - 'Crisis Point 2: Paradoxus' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That was a good bit darker than I expected. A lot more focus on characters and their development, which seems to be a theme for this season. Not as heavy on the homage to the movies as Crisis Point 1 had, but still some fairly pointed skewering of the movies.

It had "The most important device in the universe"!!!!

Only 1 though...

This show can even make holodeck episodes have weight and meaning.

Yeah, why would they have their own badges?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Another wee dig at the Kelvin timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eadrom

Good episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

I thought the 'Black Badges' was more a dig of discovery?

"Welcome William. Starfleet now considers you a dead man. Just the way we like it."

"…Isn't Section 31 supposed to be like a really big secret? I mean, why would we wear special combadges that advertise who we are?"

"You could still be dead."

"…No no, you know what? I like the badge." - Section 31 Agent and William Boimler

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was an OK episode the best parts being the beginning before the opening credits and the ending the middle was a bit silly.

I knew even before it was revealed that it must be the holodeck.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I thought the 'Black Badges' was more a dig of discovery?

I was referring to the suggestion of what type of alternate timeline could be created by the Chronogami

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was.. well .. that was a rake of things and emotions. It mixed up so many things but it worked.

I did like the nod to the Terminator.. or Terminator Genisys .. whichever one they were working from.

It was fun.

Looking forward to more section 31. Hopefully more a William Sadler feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

That was good, the hybrid FC/LD uniforms looked pretty nice. William must have been one of those timed delayed evil transporter clone. I wonder if there's any animosity behind the scenes when LD takes a swipe at a current series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a few years old but when Mike McMahan was interviewed for The Pod Directive he made it absolutely clear there was no malice intent in any of Lower Decks ribbing. He has massive respect for all Star Trek. Even Discovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eadrom

Ah yeah, I don't think it reads as animosity or malice. Just a little bit of fourth-wall breaking and acknowledgment that the writers are just humans on the Internet like the rest of us, reading these critisims and debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure what to make of that episode. Light on laughs and a bit of a slog in parts. Definitely not as good as the original Crisis Point imo.

Boimler joining Section 31 seemed totally out of character.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I didn't mean LD meant it maliciously but someone must've thought their idea for black comm badges was cool and here's the sister series poking fun at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My opinion, I loved all of it and the nods to both the action on screen and the continuity arguments as the movies were being made behind the scenes. Plus the planets and systems getting named after actors both now and back then. And then Sulu's poignant reflection.

Excellent episode IMO.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The badge thing was brilliant. And we've been saying that for years!!!!! Lol

A good strong episode. Although I'm pretty sure it will turn out the other Boimler is undercover or something.

Great to see Tendi in another command role.

Great to see a Sovereign class back in action, even if it's the holodeck.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think of all the Easter eggs in LD my favourite might be calling out the stupidity of the incredibly out in the open, blatant, obvious, not anyway secret s31 that we see in JJ and Disco Trek with their "evil" black spikey ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That was good. Loved at the OTT cool moments the guys were having in the main quest. Loved Mariner having to step over the widescreen bar s she excited the holodeck and the imperfections in picture during the holodeck scenes.

Loved the cliffhanger but hope it was really just a joke thrown in (Especially the evil laugh/maniacal look on William's face right at the end)

William Boimler is definitely playing on the evil twin trope though. I think he's gone undercover

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose if you're not sure you can top the last "Crisis Point" just lampshade the hell out of the fact sequels are hard. And they just about got away with it too. Lots of fun little nods and once again, this show nails Easter Eggs without ever calling to attention they're eggs. It never smothers things, never excessively winks to the point of distraction. The little nuggets are just there, to be enjoyed by those who can and do. Love this show, even when not quite firing on all cylinders.

Honestly though, the reveal William was alive, Section 31 or not, felt like it undercut our Boimler's understanding of his own anxieties. Not that he knows William is alive but as the viewer it just didn't work for me. The George Takei cameo was marvelous though, the idea he just took Kirk/Shatner's house a nice tacit Win for a famous rivalry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement