Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Misery Merchants

Options
  • 11-10-2022 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I’m just listening to the news at one talking about the funerals for those poor victims of the gas explosion in Creeslough. I’m not really pointing out the news at one for their report on one of the funerals. That’s their job really however we also had an in-depth dive into the save funeral earlier in Claire Byrne. Doubtless Duffer will mine it later also and I just know Tubbs is building up for an extra special misery slot on Friday nights Late Late.

I do know that other stations and tv shows are available but that being said, it’s time for RTE to move on from this misery whoring. I think times are bad enough right now and people generally could do with a lift.

i live with elderly parents and one comment I’ve heard recently is that they’re sick of the bad news every day in the RTE evening news. The news in general is fairly bad right now. I don’t think listeners need to hear extended coverage of funerals outside of news settings, hearing callers elaborate at great detail on their varied illnesses on some talk shows, hearing about terminal illness and various other sad things on such a a regular basis.

I can see this type of excessive focus pushing some people over the edge More than ever we need some positive vibes and it really seems that RTE isn’t the place we’re going to get them I don’t know what’s wrong with the organisation They really need to clean up their act

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Your last paragraph made my head hurt.

But I agree with the jist of what you say.

This is where Moncrieff on Newstalk comes into his own - he never (or rarely) deals with current, newsy stuff - is always upbeat - is an excellent broadcaster - and is just an all round very welcome break from reality every afternoon (that I manage to tune in)!

I think the funerals in Donegal have to be covered, no doubt - but I think all the "colour" pieces should finish at this stage, and leave the people to mourn and grieve in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Well tubridy is the real doom merchant ,does anyone watch the late late show anymore because he is obsessed with sad news .Most of us have to put up with hearing of hard times all week and the last thing we want when we sit down on friday night is more gloom and doom !!!

Rte are going down hill fast their obseesed also with asulum seekers ,if they are so worried about them why don't they house them in Donnybrook

Marty in the Morning on Lyric FM is brilliant.

Plays great music, isn't a dose like not might have feared, and has never mentioned Brexit, Covid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Turn on the TV any night RTE or Virgin channels and at least half are murder or killer or autopsy programs. A quarter full of miserable current affairs and the remainder some random ould shite. Right throughout the pandemic little to no comedy or funny programs shown to lighten the mood. It must be that Irish audiences love the ould misery most. But I do agree, and I take a break from the news every now and again. It should be called the RTE bad news and worse news, cause it’s rarely anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A double tragedy happened near to where I work, RTE camera crew were out like a shot the following day to get vox pops.

Like, really? Was that really necessary?

• Advertisement
Advertisement