Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerb position

Options
  • 10-10-2022 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi folks,

looking for any advice on positioning my kerb around back of house to finish off garden. It’s just a straight line of approx 10 kerbs from footpath to a pillar. My dilemma is do I set the kerbs level with the top of footpath or should I lay the kerbs so as they sit an inch or 2 above the footpath? Iv attached a photo which might help understand. This kerb is just placed roughly to give an idea of what I’m on about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Personally I'd want it level with the path for aesthetics and so it wouldn't be a trip hazard. Once the kerbs are in I take it you're going to level the soil up to them?

Any reason you'd have it higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

As above level at the highest, no point in creating a trip hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭standardg60

Be far easier to cut the grass if the kerbs were level with it too, otherwise you'd have to strim it where it meets the kerbs.

If you want the kerbs higher than the footpath, would you not just lay the last one at a slight angle or tilt, so it's not noticeably higher and there is no trip hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Do not lay the curbs higher than the grass IT LOOKS AWFUL! Looks like you couldn't afford enough topsoil to do the job properly. Sorry just my opinion.

Ideally have the soil when seeding just above the curb (1-1.5cm) then you can run the mower wheels on curb and suck up any grass growing over the curb.

Edge off once a year when the soil is moist with a half moon edging iron, but you'll have to learn to use it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mccarthy.087

Folks thanks a mill for all the advice. The majority have spoken and it’s level with the footpath I will do it. It’s the next job on my to do list so hopefully get a start on it this week if weather behaves.

Advertisement