Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setup VPN for NAS remote NAS access - Ransomware

Options
  • 10-10-2022 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies of this has been covered before, but a search on the forum isn't throwing me much luck and I am now getting in a spin.

I have a small business, 4 people and trying to setup access to a NAS drive SAFELY.

unfortunately after 2 weeks, Ransomware came and hurt. (all cleared full clean NAS drive is setup as new device and not yet connected to internet) So I have been advised to use a VPN.

I am thinking of using OPENVPN on the router (fritz box) buying Private internet access VPN with a fixed IP address and then allowing only remote connections from that fixed IP address.

Then the 4 of us can just turn on the PIA app on our devices to access the NAS drive when the VPN is on. Is my thinking sound? Is this the right easiest approach?

The NAS is a My Cloud EX2 Ultra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you shouldn't cheap out on this get some professional help

Unless you are regularly backing up the data to say the nas and testing that you can restore from it if something happens you are fooling yourself that you have it covered .

Advertisement