Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding parking sensors to a car

Options
  • 08-10-2022 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Just wondering, is it perfectly legal and possible (in Ireland of course) to add parking proximity sensors to a used car? Is it practical?

Seeing services like this : https://icesystems.ie/collections/parking-sensors

Would insurance companies mind , discriminate or penalise or would they even be happier to take that ? would the car lose resale value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Perfectly legal, we'd often fit reversing sensors to new or second hand cars if the customer wanted them but mostly to lower spec cars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes but beware cheaper systems may not be as good as OEM systems.

I tend to ignore the sensors and they beep away. Instead I much prefer the reversing camera view which is an easier retrofit depending on the car. Where I park is tight and the sensors are slow to react and just all beep like mad.

What exact car, year and spec? I recommend go for cameras as even very good sensor systems are not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Kurooi

Thank you. It's a 2016 Benz B class . It has the reversing camera, which is pretty solid! I just sometimes find myself manouvering quite close and though I never touched another car it's always on my mind. Something about the shape/height of the car I don't feel comfortable I can see the edges. Thanks for not casting judgement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Kurooi

Would you share how much it costs to fit those (sensors only, car already has a reversing camera) ? I'd probably want about 6 ( in each corner of the car plus front and back)

And if you're Dublin county feel free to PM me the shop. I will be grateful for that. I currently don't have any particular place in mind to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

As long as the sensors are body color and you notify insurer that car has been modified from factory fit no issue.

I doubt you can fit aftermarket side sensors unless it was a car option, side sensors "remember" the readings as the car moves and tie in steering, speed and recent saved distances to help. A 360 camera system might be more realistic. Best to ask the experts.

Note parking sensors stop working very close to objects so they will give final alert a good 6-10cm+ away from man object, so they are not ideal for judging very tight gaps.

Maybe compare a car with a good systems. VWs front back and side systems from 2016+ on upper models is very good, but I still ignore it regularly when it screams at me I am about to hit. It also has a noticeable delay to update so if moving fast it does not keep up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement