Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to close account?

Options
  • 08-10-2022 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I don't see any handy "close account" button in my profile settings to permanently walk away from this site.

Nearly seems like you're making it harder to close an account to artificially inflate user numbers.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You just need to send an email to datarequests@boards.ie to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

I use a disposable email address to avoid spam in most social media sites.

How's does that work then?

Why don't you have a simple close account option in the account details section?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Vanilla platform does not seem to facilitate that

We are stuck with what we have and that requires you to email as set out above, and that is also set out in the site's Privacy Policy

Question: After sending the request, do you have to cease posting while you await account closure?

I sent a request for my account to be closed on 11 July and got a message saying it would be done within 30 days, but it hasn't happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, there's no need for that. You're free to post in the interim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

Boards are making it deliberately hard to close your account because their user count is circling the drain.

I think there used to be a close account option years ago.

Now they need to make it so hard to officially close your account so that they can still tell their advertisers they have X number of users.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Nice Conspiracy Theory - the fact is the new platform does not facilitate a user closing their account. There is only Niamh on the office who can do this. The old platform allowed you to do it yourself

Advertisement