Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force Windows 10 or 11 PRO to use only Windows Hello Fingerprint and disable all other login types

Options
  • 07-10-2022 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to force Windows PRO (10 or 11) to use only Windows Hello Fingerprint? I want to disable all other authentication types like Password, PIN etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'd be wary of limiting your options to only that type of authentication. What happens if you get a bad cut on the finger and it's no longer recognised?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,400 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What are you hoping to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭TestLink

Only I should be able to login to this device even if someone has my password. So I would need to use a Bio Metric authentication to make sure that only I should be able to use this computer. So Physical Security Key is my option?

You can indeed set up a stronger sign-in to Windows 10/11 etc with a compatible security key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Are there other user accounts with admin access rights on that computer? If there is - security settings can be modded by other admin(you will notice that) and/or data stored under your user profile can be accessed by other admin account(s) without you knowing.

In Windows, there are other, some perhaps not quite legal, means of gaining admin access to the OS as long there is physical access to the device. After that, access to other user profile data folders is piece of piss.

Where securing your account is good practice, there is always convenience vs security factor and this for a long therm condition. As mentioned, if your bio-metrics cannot be read (for whatever reason) or you loose/damage your USB security key(USB's go corrupt) , you might find yourself in very bad situation, proceed wisely.

Perhaps, if you would provide, background information of need for this extreme "security "demand could lead to suggestions that would suite you most

• Advertisement

If privacy is an absolute priority for you, you could always use Tails (Linux based OS) on a USB stick. The USB stick then becomes your private operating system. It takes a wee bit of effort to set up if you’re very new to this kind of thing, but it’s not difficult. It may or may not suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Good point, also, WTG is the option too, should you wish to stick with Win. It will/might have impact on performance tough.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Advertisement