Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread ban in CA

Options
  • 07-10-2022 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭

I received a thread ban in CA two days ago. The mod that issued the ban is happy they made the correct decision and I haven't had any contact in two days and I had sent two PM's asking if they felt the issue was dealt with and have had no reply.

My issue is that the reason given for the ban doesn't track with the content post they took issue with.

If somebody is able to look at this I'll post the details.

Thanks.

Glazers Out!

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to the proper place.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You were having a spat with another user

And that is something I've seen repeatedly with you involving a number of posters. Indeed I've seen you get confrontational with other posters in another thread in the forum earlier today

In this case the thread resulting in the threadban included

"I've caught you out on multiple occasions over the last couple of years"

But in addition you had made three other posts directed at the same poster which contributed to the discussion escalating. I pointed these three posts out to you in our PM conversation

I'm standing behind the threadban. However at this stage you have given no indication of how you might want to revise your posting style to avoid getting into situations like this again. Do you have anything to say on this front?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,405 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I was having a spat with another user. You warned me not to continue the spat I had no issue with that.

They asked me a direct question and I answered it, you stated that I was "baiting" even though they asked me the question directly. You could have said for us to ignore each other but you gave me a thread ban and left them to continue posting on the thread.

You say I was getting "confrontational" with another poster today in CA. I assume you're referring to the thread tell me how posted where he stated that boards is a hotbed of right wing rhetoric. I corrected that assumption, do you feel they were correct to make that statement?

Given the tone of your post here I don't feel you're being objective in how you're dealing with me and are being excessively heavy handed, you told me to put Overheal on ignore a few weeks ago and I complied, no more issues there. You could have easily done the same in this instance.

Here you are tracking my posting and a few weeks ago I had to bring threats of violence being made in a thread in the gigs and events forum to the attention of (as it turned out to be) you.

The fact of the matter is that there are a number of posters on that leftism thread who can be as abusive as they wish yet I'm the one in dispute resolution being told to change my posting style.

Glazers Out!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a couple of posts

If anyone has questions about moderation then drop me a PM. This thread is dealing with the specifics of a threadban I issued, but it is only dealing with the specifics of that threadban

Are you going to be the sole contributing mod/admin in this thread?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Same mod has said to me that thread bans cannot be appealed so it’s really pointless to raise specifics. The key thing to learn if you are continuing here is to use ignore function much more. You need to be able to add many more to it and it should be set up so that those ignored cannot read your posts either. I used it a lot but didn’t add enough to it. The warning sign is always people incapable of reading your posts and replying to the post they hoped to read.

I get your point but that ends up negating the point of a discussion board.

Eventually everyone who you disagree with ends up on your ignore list and there's no point in being here.

Glazers Out!

No. Disagreeing with a point of view is fine. Claiming that the view they’re disagreeing with is yours when it’s theirs is the giveaway.

That may well be the case

There are only two of us actively modding CA. In terms of Admins I have posted in other threads we are extremely thin on the ground. I started a discussion in our Admin forum to initiate getting more Admins nearly a month ago. So far I have seen one reply. If you look through this forum and Feedback you will see I've been pretty much the only active Admin since the platform changeover. There is one more I know has been helping nuke spammers and the like. Maybe they will chip in, but equally they do not know the background and I'm not sure they have even ever posted in CA

So unfortunately you are almost certainly stuck with me

Just to add further background - you were warned a couple of days previously about your interactions with the same poster. This thread ban reflects the message was not getting through

When we discussed this via PM, I initially thought you were making a valid point about the other poster's behaviour that led up to the post you made. However on further scrutiny I saw 3 other posts (which I detailed in a PM to you) which reflected similar behaviour by yourself in the hours leading up to the specific post I actioned

Hence in summary

You were warned

You repeated the behaviour several times

I have seen similar behaviour from yourself involving other posters in other threads

I decided a threaban was appropriate

Now the only way I will consider lifting that threadban is if I get assurances over your future behaviour.

Of course if you then return to that sort of behaviour sanctions will escalate rapidly

• Advertisement

You have started another thread to discuss your threadban. Please stick to that one

Looking back at your PM with the time line two of the posts have been deleted so I don't have any way of looking back at them.

The one that remains was a reply to absolute sh1t post from RobbieTheRobber...

So. I'm subject to a level of scrutiny that poster isn't from the looks of things even if I can accept that perhaps I should have just left it and not replied only I am subject to scrutiny as a result of it.

We're talking about a poster here who's typical contribution to threads amounts to little more than trolling yet they're free to post as the wish.

I get that you're short staffed here but I still feel a mod note stating we should ignore each other would have been sufficient.

As things stand there was poor behavior from myself and RobbieTheRobber and I'm the only one suffering for it. I don't see him having to give assurances about his posting style going forward.

As for this notion of promising to be a good boy in perpetuity or else, I think my card is marked already on that front and as things stand this is little more than a kangaroo court anyway. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not in a hurry to genuflect in hope of some form of clemency being handed down.

The point of this Dispute resolution thread is more to do with punishments being handed out fairly and even handedly with isn't that case in this situation.

Glazers Out!

You need to report any posts you think are crossing the line. I am not though going to go into any actions taken against any other posters, in the same way I will not discuss your sanction with others

If you have reported posts, the only actions that are usually visible are threadbans - -I will in most cases delete posts I have actioned.

Equally I only actioned one of your posts, and I could have actioned others. In the same way there is no visibility of actions that may have been taken against other users on perhaps a different post to the one(s) reported

In your case there was a history to consider. That may have been the case with any posts I action

I don't expect the details of actions against other posters to be part of this discussion.

However what is evident in this case is that there were two of us at it on the thread in question and only one of us has been sanctioned.

I'm not taking issue with rules being in place or enforced my issue is that there was a clear disparity in this case.

Glazers Out!

Just replying to your edit, the ban was issued with "baiting" as the reason given.

It seems like the history element has only been considered since I challenged the ban.

Had I not done so these elements would have remained unknown.

Also could you alert me if you are going to edit posts, I only observed that you dit by chance.

It is still relevant that two posters were involved in this situation and only one received a ban, RobbieTheRobber had made reference to having to be careful in case he was banned so I'm assuming there was some contact made on the subject yet he retains his posting privileges.

There is clearly either a two their system or a personal bias at play here.

Glazers Out!

The "history" element was part of it in the context that I had seen you engage in such spats with other posters in the past (in other threads)

When I looked at your own "defence" I was tempted to agree and possibly overturn the threadban. However before doing so I wanted to check your other posts (and I said to you in PM I wanted to check some timings of posts)

Looking at those additional 3 posts there was a very clear pattern. Any of them could have been actioned. Rather than revisiting any of those I simply stuck with my original sanction

And indeed it was only after all of that when I realised I had given you a nil point warning in the same thread only 2 days previously for similar commentary towards the same poster

I am not going to discuss here any action taken against any other posters and you are simply assuming no action was taken but I am not prepared to indicate one way or other here. Equally it is important for you to understand your prior behaviour (as mentioned in the first para of this post) was relevant in deciding what sanction to apply

I have laid out my full thought process. I have given you a way to get the threadban lifted. There is nothing more I am prepared to do here, other than ask the following question

Did you report any of the posts you are complaining about in that thread since your own post or indeed leading up to your own post?

The question is of course rhetorical. So why complain about inaction in respect of posts you have not even reported?

Just to clarify again as it seems to be getting lost somehow, I don't expect you to share any details of actions taken against other users here.

Was my ban given on the back of a reported post? Or did you identify the issue yourself? You mentioned previously that you had observed my posting on another thread and characterized it as "confrontational", oddly I had PM'd you twice over two days before I created this thread and you didn't respond, yet during that time you were keeping up to speed with my posting.

The "ill discipline" on the thread I was banned from was carried out by myself and one other user, we each gave as good as we got yet only one of us is banned and being told to change our posting style.

The reasonable course of action would have been to tell us to cut it out on thread (you did this with myself and Overheal on that very thread a short while ago) and that would have sorted the problem.

I've since informed Tell me how that I will no longer be engaging with them as I can only assume that I was headed for a sanction there.

With that in mind could you outline what I had done wrong in that thread? When does "confrontational" become actionable and should a poster making sweeping statements about this site being a hotbed of far right rhetoric be treated as a valid opinion?

Glazers Out!

I acted, as is usually the case, based on reported posts

There are very few threads in the forum I would actively look in (currently maybe one on the front page). I would estimate that nearly 99% of my time on this site is spent dealing with reports, other Mod and Admin responsibilities, PM follow-ups to warnings and threads like this

In terms of what you did wrong, you seemed to want to interact in an aggressive manner, for example raising posts made by the other poster in other threads to try and discredit that poster as set out in our PM communications

I was asking in relation to what you described as "confrontational" in a different thread that you mentioned you noticed me on yesterday.

As for raising posts from other threads, that's part and parcel of a community setting. We know each other and we have ideas about each other. In the case of RobbieTheRobber, he has in multiple occasions said one thing then completely contradicted himself and then refused to acknowledge it when it's pointed out to him. Nobody would bother pointing these things out if he treated people with respect, but he only ever shows outright contempt for people he disagrees with.

The advice to out everyone on ignore might be sensible on one level but ultimately it negates the point of the site.

At this point I'm looking for some clarification on how you believe I should be posting and what constitutes "confrontational" and when that becomes a problem because I see other users being far for more confrontational that I am and it's accepted.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

I will repeat what I said to you on 5 October

"So I warned you yesterday morning to stick to discussing the topic, but the pair of you chose to escalate things. And let's face it you have a record of getting into spats with other users

At 11:44 you posted quoting Robbie clearly escalating things between the pair of you. Why do that when you had already been warned 2 hours earlier to stick to discussing the topic?

At 1:34pm you yet again replied to the poster, not discussing the topic, but arguing with him about historic posts

at 3:19pm - "The fact that I was making fun of your "boards is just awful" diatribe seems to be lost on you." - what has that got to do with the topic? It's simply another dig, that time at 2 posters

Even if I accept you were drawn into the comments in the post that triggered this warning, you had completely ignored my instruction to stick to the topic, both in the 3 posts above and the one that triggered this sanction

Hence yes I am standing behind both the warning and threadban."

OK.

Can you address this" confrontational" issue now? I'm not sure what you want my posting style to become, you need to state explicitly what I need to do to satisfy the standards you're setting for me as I'm not clear on the specifics.

Glazers Out!

I've wasted enough time on this

You know your interactions. You are like a dog with a bone. You cannot let go., as is happening with this thread

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement