Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance NCD on returning to Ireland

Options
  • 06-10-2022 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

My cousin is hoping to return to Ireland in the next year after 10 years in the UK and both himself and his wife hope to get car insurance when they arrive.

Speaking to him yesterday, he had 'a bit of a tip' last week and is weighing up whether to claim from insurance or pay out of his pocket to preserve his NCD. I told him he may as well claim because he'd probably lose his NCD anyway when he returns. Is this the case? Info on the net is quite vague. Don't know the damage involved but I'd guess well North of £1k from what he says

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd counsel the opposite. UK NCD can be accepted here, and a €1k payout there might be a fraction of a premium here, so I'd know which I'd go for.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Damage ended up being north of £7k, so he didn't really have a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oh.

7k is not 'a bit of a tip' really....................

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Arnout

Depends on which car...

• Advertisement
Advertisement