Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does my coaxial port go?

Options
  • 05-10-2022 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just moved into our new apartment and I noticed that two of the rooms have coaxial ports. I've never had a fixed line TV service before (not as an adult anyway, just always streamed). Where do these cables usually go? How can I use them? Or am I better off just putting blank plates on the socket?

Literally know nothing about proper top box services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can you post a pic ?

What is the other end of the coax cables connected to, Virgin Media cable service, or communal sat dish/aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ehh, I'll be back there tomorrow.

I have no idea where the other end of the coax cables go. I asked the management company and they don't seem to know either, which I thought was strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Coaxial ports like on rear of tv will be a push in connection with an aerial on the rooftop to receive Saorview.

Could also use a Dvbt box to receive your signal

F connectors have nuts with threads you screw on usually for sat services.

It's in an apartment so more details of the installation would be required. Is it a communal setup or VM cable service? Is it Sky?

Yes usually its Sky or Virgin but not with a coaxial cable ??

Ask neighbours what are they using?

• Advertisement

Yes, that's why I asked for a pic to see what's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Sorry guys. The management company confirmed that they're not connected to anything and I'm better off putting in some new ports and sticking an aerial on the balcony.

Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I used to work for Virgin years ago ( cablelink back then ).

Check with Virgin to see if your apartment complex is on their network

The 2 co-ax cables in the wall generally go to a joint box ( usually found inside the door of your apartment )

From this joint box another co-ax then runs externally to a cable junction point on your floor ( usually in a riser) and then onto a connection point

This connection point can either be on each floor or in one bigger location in the basement.

At this location VM have their network connection points for multiple tenants, this is where they connect/disconnect individual apartments to/from the network

All of that said if your management company say there are no providers on the site, that could be a show stopper ( I would still double check though ) if it were me.

Where are you located as if close to a transmitter an indoor aerial might work non powered.

All you need to do there is plug it into tv if it is Saorview dvb/t tuner or terrestrial receiver

Advertisement