Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexpected Fosterer

Options
  • 05-10-2022 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Yesterday while in the playground we spotted a little kitten in the bushes and she took a liking enough to my nephew to be cajoled out. She was tiny and had some gunk in her eye as well as some kind of cut or puncture in her leg. It wasn't bleeding but the fur all around it was wet and sticky.

Obviously we couldn't just leave her so she let me scoop her up and we brought her to the vet. She had a temperature so the vet has started her on antibiotics and I've started a worming dose and giving her some prebiotics with her urgent care food.

She's a really beautiful cat and very willing to be handled. She slept in a crate I made up for her overnight and was meowing this morning, very happy to eat and happy to lie on my chest purring or go back to sleep in her crate.

The thing is, I am allergic to cats. While I can take antihistamines short term, I can't take them every day for a prolonged period because of other medication I'm on, so I can't keep her. I would if I could despite being more than a dog person but it's just not possible. However, I'm more than happy to foster until I can find her a home.

I'm in Offaly and have contacted OSPCA and GSPCA gbut I've never had a cat or kitten before so I'm flying a little blind. Does anyone have any dos and don'ts or tips for seeing this little one through this time? Vet says she's about 10 weeks old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭SourSessions

My nephew named her Madam JJ Fluffington the First, or Fluffy for short by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I have nothing to add except congrats on your new cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

How kind of you to care for her even though you’ve allergies to her.

One thing is that you could put a hot water bottle in cage under the blankets, cats are heat seekers and might bring her some comfort too. Also make sure you keep her litter tray clean as if she’s under the weather they can get sick from a dirty tray. Don’t let her outside either as she’s very young. Try to contact cat & dog protection or the north Dublin Cat rescue they are very good at responding and may be able to help with rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Thank you for that info! I had wondered about a hot water bottle. I think I have a mini one I can fish out.

I may have even convinced my mom and aunt (who live three doors down from each other) to co-parent permanently...

Advertisement