Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commodore 16k image problem

Options
  • 05-10-2022 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Wondering if I could ask for help from the community. I have a 40 year old commodore 16 which powers up, and i have all the accessories for it like the power unit, cassette player, games, manuals etc. I dont have the original box unfortunately. Also when I power up the unit I get the following image. I have been advised to remove and clean the chips on the mother board but i dont feel i am skilled enough to do this. I have brought it to a local repair shop but they too feel they dont have the expertise to look at it. Is there anyone out there who knows how to fix this and if so could they get in touch with me? I live in dublin 15 area btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Watching a Commodore 16 Repairathon might help you with the initial checks of the PSU you are using, checking the board itself for anything obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsQs1h_WB9o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 savagepro007

thanks KerbDog for the advice. Seems to be a problem with the CPU from the videos i have looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭keanebg1

Don't think its the CPU or TED, almost always its the PLA or RAM in C16s. I have repaired at least 2 some years back.

C16 ICs are hard to come by, but there are some replacement PLAs now on eBay but they do go for €20-€30.... if you had another working C16 would be best to swap parts over and back to test.

Advertisement