Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major accidental lapse in insurance

Options
  • 04-10-2022 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I just went to pay the motor tax on my wife's car, went to get the insurance details only to discover it lapsed all the way back in February. We'd had a baby just before that and must have just missed the renewal quote or thought it had been paid, I'm honestly quite shocked today to realise it hasn't been insured all this time. But I know it's totally our fault and there's no excuse, can just be thankful that we weren't in an accident or anything in the interim period. She's been on maternity and not commuting so the car has done very little mileage in that time really.

So the question is, what do we do now? If applying for insurance do we still put in the no claims bonus? Are they going to ask for an explanation for the gap, and if the explanation is "we forgot" is that going to put us in trouble? I tried completing the renewal form from the previous insurer but it has unsurprisingly expired.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your no-claims cert is good for two years so that’s still intact. What you have to do now is come up with a plausible explanation for why there is a gap in your coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As its been out of date for more than 6 months you will likely have to complete a gap in cover letter. Just say that due to the new arrival the car was not being used. Your bonus stays live for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What's this explaining the gap business? I don't believe I've ever seen such a question. NCD cert is good for 2 years so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

As was said above. Insurers will require a gap in cover declaration. There will be concerns that there was a deliberate driving without cover and an incident (accident or offence) which has prompted the seeking of cover now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

This is interesting. It must be a relatively new thing or perhaps it depends on the Insurance company. I have never been asked for a lapse explanation and I have 2 acquaintances more recently who also had lapsed motor insurance and they were never asked when taking up a policy again. Unless the insurance company took the declaration over the phone and didn't call it a "declaration". 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was asked to fill out a gap in cover form when I changed insurers mid year about eleven years ago and my NCB was only dated to the prior renewal date (told Quinn I'd leave if they didn't cover something the policy was meant to cover and, well, they didn't. So I did. New policy was actually much cheaper as it was during a dramatic fall in premiums). So it's not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's always been the case with nearly all insurers. It's a risk indicator of someone who drives without cover, someone facing prosecution for same, others may have forced cancellation by an insurer back to inception leaving the previous policy as the last legitimate cover. Wanting to use an older NCB where there might be an accident under a more recent policy. There are loads of reasons this information is important to an insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've had to have a 'gap' letter done, so it is A Thing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement