Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Sky+HD to Sky Q and multiroom

Options
  • 04-10-2022 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Do they still do a free upgrade to the Q box?

Is getting a hybrid LNB a problem and would I lose some Q feeds?

I have an older quad LNB with 2 feeds into 2 rooms but not going to the room I now want the mini box in. How would they do things in that case?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OP the hybrid LNB is only necessary if you plan on running some combination of Sky Q and free to air in different rooms. It’s not necessary if you plan on running a Sky only set up. Others will be able to tell you how likely you are to actually get one but no harm to ask I guess.

With a pure Sky Q set up the only feeds from the dish go to the main box. Mini boxes do not need (and cannot use) a physical connection to the dish so it doesn’t matter where they are located as long as they can pick up a good WiFi signal. When I got Sky Q the installer severed the physical connection from the dish to where the old multiroom box was located (the wiring is still there but no longer connected to the LNB).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is it mini to router to main box or mini to main box directly?

Is there a charge to upgrade to Q. They offered me it free last year but I didn't go for it then.

My recollection is that Sky Q mini doesn’t connect your main box via the LAN router (unless you are one of the rare ones using a wired Ethernet connection), there is a direct WiFi connection.

Not sure what the current deal is with upgrades. May be worth checking your My Sky app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

All boxes are on the home WiFi network. All boxes can access all recordings. The main box needs wired to the dish.

Beware you nearly definitely will lose all old recordings and series link etc., so watch all old recordings before day of switch.

The whole set up works best if internet is provided by sky as their system works with their box better. If you have non sky internet you will more likely have connection issues watching TV.

A direct connection might be a problem. The mini would be upstairs at the other end of the house so signal would have to pass through block walls and a concrete slab floor.

On the Sky forums WiFi between the boxes looks to be a common problem. The suggestion seems to be powerline adapters.

• Advertisement

I'm with Digiweb. Wouldn't like to give up the Fritzbox. Isn't the Sky router low on features and restricted?

I have to say, I have rarely had connection issues with the mini box, and I have never had my BB with Sky. (VM currently, eir previously). Maybe it is a case of different setups causing different problems but I’ve never had an issue that rebooting hasn’t fixed.

Advertisement