Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missing burial record

• 04-10-2022 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

My aunt was born in Co. Cork in 1911 and having lived in Cobh, died (at a young age ) on Friday, 5th April 1940 of TB, in St. Patrick's Hospital, Cork.

A death announcement in the Examiner says she was buried in St. Colmans Cemetery Cobh on Sunday, 6th , after removal to St. Colmans Cathedral on Saturday, 5th.

However, Cobh Parish, who manage the cemetery have no record of the burial on or about that date, and nobody alive now knows where she may be buried.

I checked with St. Colmans in Macroom also ,( because of family origins ) just in case the announcement was wrong in that respect (grasping at straws!). No good.

I checked with the most likely undertaker to be involved, who buried many of the other family members, to no avail.

Has anybody ever come across such an occurrence ?

It was war time, if that might have any impact on records or efficiency.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its my understanding that lots of graveyards didnt keep proper records of burials. The death notice stating the burial is in St Colmans in Cobh is probably correct. Do you know if the family had a burial plot in this graveyard? It may not even be marked by headstone.

I know of a relative of mine that was buried in our family plot also in the 1940's- plot dates back to 1850's. I know she was definitely buried there but her name was never engraved on the headstone. I guess the family may have not had the money at the time to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thanks for your comment. There was no family plot there. Her family were from Macroom. Clondroichid would be the most likely cemetery to have a family plot.. Other family members are buried there. However Macroom Council have lost all the records for Clondroihid due to flood or fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I did examine all the headstones there , to no avail. There are many plots unmarked too.

Advertisement