Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Filter/arrow light at traffic lights.

Options
  • 03-10-2022 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I've a driving test coming up in the coming weeks and one junction is causing me a lot of problems.

It's traffic lights and a cross roads in a town center.

I approach and there's a red light.

The lights then go green and I roll into the box to turn right.

Sometimes I'm able to proceed on the green light but other times I'd need to wait for the filter light.

However sometimes it doesn't come on and I can be left stranded in the road.

Any idea on how to approach this situation especially towards the driving test?

I'll be seeing my instructor next week but I'm just trying to do as much practice as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭millb

If you can make sure your car is over the TL sensor cable in the box you should get the filter green arrow.!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You can enter a yellow box junction to turn right as long as you are not blocking other traffic and then go when clear - a green light does not necessarily mean plough ahead though, so be aware of that in the driving test.

If you are being left stranded then it means you are not taking the opportunity to go when you can

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Thanks for the advice.

@fritzelly I was practicing tonight. I did it a few times. Once the filter light came on another time I was able to proceed on the green light but another time it simply wasn't safe to go. The light then went red and no filter came on.

The junction is this one below.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You are allowed, can and should still proceed on the red (assuming you entered the yellow box on a SOLID green), as not doing so means you are now blocking the junction. Not proceeding here will definitely get you marked down in the test, sitting back and refusing to enter the junction without a filter would also be a mark against you.

In an ideal world this is not a problem as you would just wait until the lights go red and immediately turn before the cross roads get their green. Of course being Ireland there is a high probability of bell-ends coming at you breaking your/their red so you have to be both careful of these tossers and swift to get across the junction before the cross traffic starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

If you get stuck, you just go once it’s safe. You passed the stop line on green so you’re not breaking a red.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Vic_08 and @Qrt

Thanks for that. My instructor told me to always enter the box on a solid green and I do. Previously this junction didn't cause me any issues really. However, of late it has.

So, when I enter the yellow box on a green light. (I don't get a safe chance to go). The light then turns red for a nice few seconds before the filter light comes on and then you can go. However, once I'm in the box I can go on the red light once it's safe to do? (Note tonight no filter light came on,)

I do understand you shouldn't stay standard either.

In the real World I'd be okay with this situation. It's just the test that's bothering me.

I'm drastically over thinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,060 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Correct.

Toy entered on the full green and can proceed as soon as it is clear and safe to do so. Even if it goes red without a filter, you are proceeding on the basis of the full green you started on. In many junctions without a filter, that is the only way to get a safe gap.

Once the on coming cars have stopped for their red light you can go. Usually this is before the cross flowing traffic has a green, but regardless you have right of way.

One thing to be wary of, maybe not at this junction but in general. The lights you see might go red for traffic coming behind you. Usually the oncoming traffic goes red at the same time, but not always. Ensure that their light is also red. as I've seen a few near misses that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another thing to be aware of is that, even if the other motorists get a green light, that doesn't mean they can proceed. Their way must be clear and it must be safe for them to proceed so they must wait for you to clear the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,893 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can anyone link to this law? I've done it in all my tests and never had an issue.

The reason I want to see the law is because when turning right from the R133 to Ballinteer Avenue the oncoming traffic doesn't stop when the traffic light for the turn goes red and the pedestrian crossing on Ballinteer Avenue is green.

https://goo.gl/maps/JVKFFdKCoSLa4eV68

Green light, proceed when safe to do so, but oncoming traffic have right of way

green filter, you should have right of way, so proceed when safe

If In yellow box, if the light turns red, you must move when safe to do so, even though it’s red. you don’t have to wait for the filter. You will be causing an obstruction otherwise.

if there is a red filter. You can only go when filter is green.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

One way of looking at it is this, consider the line on the road at the lights, sometimes it's actually physically there. Once you've crossed that line you're now "through" the light, even if the light turns red you should move out of the junction when it is safe to do so as you've already technically gone through as you've passed the line.

One issue that's occuring a lot more these days is traffic coming the other way speeding through the red light so you're stuck longer than you should be in the junction .

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm probably overthinkinking everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sometimes the lights will be programmed not to give the filter light onto the minor road for every sequence during busy times of the day, you might only get it every second sequence. So you can be correctly located on the sensor and not be guaranteed a filter light.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

I had this issue twice during my driving test! As the others have said, as long as you entered the junction legally (i.e. solid green light etc.) then it's fine to leave the junction when the light is red, if you weren't able to leave it before then. Taking all due caution etc. etc. of course! Best of luck with the Test, it's easy to say, but try not to overthink it, you'll just end up panicking yourself...

Advertisement