Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legally can I do anything

Options
  • 03-10-2022 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So, I ordered a new electric car in March 2021 and agreed a deal with price and trade in value etc. And paid my deposit. I was initially told I'd have it in July, which was quickly changed to August. So I said fair enough ok. Then in July I got a call to say it won't be available until February 2023 but they would honour the deal of zero percent finance etc. During the discussion I accepted this due to the Ukraine war and supply issues and so on but stated I did not want to get a call in October or November saying they have a car for me as it is too late in the year and I'd hold out till 2023. All was fine until today when I get a call to say there is a car in the suppliers available if I wanted it...but the price has gone up by OVER 3 GRAND. I was basically told this is the price take it or leave it.. can I legally argue a case for the price stated initially??

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can cancel and get your deposit back. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,333 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Take your money back and start again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What does the contract you signed when you paid the deposit state? After all thats what you agreed to.

If you didn't sign a contract at that stage your option is get your deposit back if you don't agree with the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭893bet

There is a que of people willing to pay the increased price.

Suck it up Is your only option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OP go back to your paperwork for the car, if the price is stated there then highlight same to the dealer and they either accept it or you walk away from the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

this is a matter of contract law. But we dont know what the contract says?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

the standard car sales contract will have this. It has come up before and was discussed on radio.

I'd wait until the new year. Car margins are huge at the moment as there has been a shortage, but that shortage is almost corrected and with a slowdown coming, deals will be back on the table.

So if not essential to change, say thank you but no thanks and wait a few months into next year.

Advertisement