Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period & 0 hour roster

Options
  • 03-10-2022 1:19pm

Hi, I recently gave a workplace the statutory 1 weeks notice. I worked there for less than 6 months, about 2 months altogether. It just wasn’t the type of job for me no big deal really.

But when I gave notice I was given 0 hours on the schedule. My schedule for the week basically looked like:

Not scheduled

Not Scheduled

then for the last two days I could see (after my notice expired) it says “terminated”. That’s fine, the contract was terminated not worried there. But I’m curious are they allowed to do this? That is to say give me 0 hours for my notice in lieu of the usual craic which would be a weeks pay instead of working the notice. The thing is I wasn’t given any choice here! In my contract also there are a certain amount of hours not necessarily guaranteed to get them but it does specify they’ll endeavour to give me on average 30 hours a week.

Basically before I email them to ask am I due to be paid those hours because they just decided not to roster me? For the record, I made it clear I was happy to work the notice period if they want, but I got absolutely no response from management whatsoever.

TIA.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

If your contract specifies an average of 30 hours a week and you were given no work for a week, I believe you would be entitled to the minimum payment that week, which would be 7.5 hours (25% of your contracted hours) at 3x minimum wage per hour. You should ask your employer for your minimum payment as per the law, and if they fail to provide it, you should make a complaint to the WRC.

Answers

Advertisement