Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics Tracks

• 02-10-2022 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

There's been a post on here, updating those that are interested on the development of UCD athletics track. A few of us were wondering would it be public access and of course..it isn't. It got me thinking though..

Why doesn't Athletics Ireland and the clubs within, have a more open door policy for the facility that most people want to train on? The track.

Establish a National Membership, separate from your club membership, to enable access to track facilities. You would need a valid (any) club membership to be able to access the track. It's possible that for it to work, you might need to pay a fee to the club in question but that could be done. I've added a few costs in there, but that's ok. At the end of the day, we'd get access to facility that, let's face it, you need to be able to train on in Ireland. Grass, in a wet climate just won't suffice.

Yes, I am talking about track runners, but after the European Championships, Adeleke, English, Coscoran, Olatunde, Lavin et al, are we not trying to encourage people to train in these facilities, to get involved?

Yes. You are going to say, that you can attend training at 7pm on a Tuesday and Thursday. But hello? 7pm?? If your 24, a qualified Nurse and on a shift pattern, how in the name of God, do you keep in with a sport if you can't even train to get a little bit better? Not just a Nurse. Anyone that works or studies or can't make that singular time that is enshrined in most clubs. Anyway if you turn up, they won't let you on, because you are not a member.

There won't be any kind of groundswell of opinion on this that validates my opinion because the answer probably lies in the middle.

But I do think that it's a ready made moment that in my mind's eye, is relatively easy for Athletics Ireland to implement, without moving many boxes.

This has not been a Ted Talk and I only wish there was a dislike button, so you could let me know if I am so far off the mark, I may as well have jumped the gun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

I am also, well aware that there are pay as you go options available in some facilities around the country. College tracks are a little different also, I respect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

For the record, I've used pay as you go (daytime) in Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Irishtown, Morton Stadium, ALSAA. Also free usage of the track in Ballina. Would be good if others posted access to their local tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Shoreline (Greystones ish) updates their website weekly with public access available times (outside of club bookings)

https://shorelineleisure.ie/charlesland/sportspark-athletic-track/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sub3wannabe

Re the UCD track it really does look a fantastic amenity.

I don't want to encourage law breaking but if for example I went up there crack of dawn or late at night for a sneeky session on my own, would I realistically be bothered? Is it fenced off etc?

Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Le cheile track in Leixlip is open to members usually any time between 7am to 8pm or so (plus standard club sessions). Earlier or later is usually an issue with health and safety (insurance would go up a lot).

for non members, track can be booked but might only be feasible for groups of 4+ as it is (I think) around 50-60€ an hour. Not sure though. There is also the indoor arena in blanch that can be booked as far as I know. Just wouldn’t expect anything for free. For that you have parkrun loops 😁

Advertisement