Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solicitor for selling house how to choose ?

• 02-10-2022 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

i,m looking to appoint a solicitor to sell my house, the original solictor is located in Santry, should i go back to her,

or should i choose a solicitor in dublin 1, dublin 2 , eg i live near dorset street Dublin,

does it make a difference , ? whats the average legal fee to sell ?1000 to 2000 euro approx

house was built in 1857 , eg about 200 years old. i dont know if its registered on the online property register ,

eg it was bought it 1992 before online registry was started .

i also want to make a will ,as i,m 54 , years of age .

its an old victorian 3 bed house 10 mins from the GPO .

any advice is welcome as my legal knowledge is very limited ,

do i pay a fee in advance ,or the solicitor gets paid when the house is sold,

house will be for sale in 5-6 months ,eg may 2023 ,eg when its decorated and rewired and 10 pvc windows installed ,new doors installed etc

Post edited by riclad on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You might be better asking in the accommodation and property forum but from my own experience this year, the location of your solicitor is not important (as long as you can access their office to sign documents). No up front payment, solicitor will take their fees from the sale (as the payment is made to their account first)

You'll like have to use a different solicitor for your will as the first should ideally focus on conveyance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Thanks. I'm not an expert on legal matters. But I presume a solicitor with an office in say from finglas might be slightly cheaper than one in ballsbridge where office ,insurance rental,etc would be more expensive ,

Is 1000 to 2000 euros an average price for selling a house ,eg value 170k approx. .?

Or is it like 1 per cent of the sale price plus vat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

For something like this - which looks like a transaction that might be a bit more complex from a conveyancy point of view rather than a brand new house for what could be a fairly significant financial transaction you are much better not being too concerned about the solicitors price but more on their reputation. Perhaps in the right forum you will get some PM recomendations for solicitors who are responsive and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,232 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

landdirect.ie

I think it would have to have been registered if bought in 1990's anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Original solicitor.

Makes no difference where the solicitor is based

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I disagree with this strongly. I think its imperative that you can call to the solicitors office. Most are painfully slow and calling into their office to pressure them is vital in my experience.

This house is being sold in 2023,

I don't care how long it takes as I'll be buying a 1 bed property in maybe 14 months time after the house is sold ,there is no debt or mortgage on the property ,eg I'm in no rush to sell as long as it's before December 2024

Thanks for the advice , the original solicitor is based in Santry

Should I go back to her as she has all my financial data and records re date of purchase ,eg she ,d no where the government paper records are ,eg deeds office or some other government agency that

handles property ownership eh I don't think there was any online digital documents in

Re property transactions in 1992 as far as I know eg it was mostly on paper documents in file cabinets I think

Thanks for the info

Would i be better to go back to the original solicitor ,as she,ll have all the info re the purchase of the house in 1992

i,ll only see the solicitor 2 or 3 times i can go to santry in 20 mins from where i live now

Post edited by riclad on

Advertisement