Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insignia Tourer 2.0D. How much should I budget for run if the mill brake pads and discs x 4.

• 02-10-2022 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I took off the wheels this morning to check the brake pad wear and there is about 5 mm left on the front and 5 mm left on the back. The disc have approx. 1mm lip on the outside diameter. 😒.

Almost 200,000 km on the car.

The brake wear squeaker is sounding already but only intermittently. 5 mm is quite a lot of kilometers left in my mind. Thoughts?

How much should I expect to pay for replacement pads and replacement disks all around including installation.

Anyone out there use Best Drive or similar franchised garages?

Who are best quality + value.

Appreciate the advice folks.….

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Around €350 for discs and pads all around, supplied and fitted.

Steer well clear of Best drive, they're only a tyre shop trying to do the work of an indie garage but charge main dealer prices.

Look for reviews of any local indie garage near you, brakes are an incredibly simple job for an experienced mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

That's good, thanks Blake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blakes94 is probably about right on the price. But it might be worth joining the Opel service club and depending on the year of the Insignia get up to 25% off the parts and labour. It can actually work out cheaper than an Indy in SOME cases. Plus youre getting genuine parts aswell.

https://www.opelserviceclub.ie/

Never even heard of it. thanks I'll take a look there too! 🙏🙏

@Hellrazer, Membership arrived this morning, thanks for the tip.

Quite reasonable discount in my mind. Can anyone suggest pitfalls of using this vs. A local non authorised garage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres no real pitfalls of the service club ( for transparency I was until recently an after sales manager in an Opel dealer) other than an indy being possibly cheaper and genuine parts being used in service club.

My suggestion would be to check the prices of both. With the service club you are getting genuine Opel parts with up to 25% discount off parts and labour. But you might still get an indy cheaper.

A quick example - had a customer get a quote for timing belt and water pump for an Insignia from an Indy - quote was around 800.00 inc parts / labour and vat.

I signed him up at the counter on the day and gave him 25% off - it came to around 570.00 incl parts / labour and vat...thats a decent saving in anyones book.

Some stuff works out cheaper in an Indy and some works out cheaper in a dealer especially if you fall into the 25% discount bracket. Always worth checking out both and weighing up your options.

You also get 2 years warranty with a lot of parts fitted in the service club - obviously not serviceable items like pads and filters etc but say you got an alternator fitted and it failed within two years - you are covered for parts and labour.

That's good to know. I Rang my nearest dealer today and she said to email in my requirements and they'd price it up.

It's basically a service ( all fluids and filters) + new discs and pads all around and some work on a window track.

I had considered taking it on myself even the brakes but I'd be at the limit of my current capability.

Let's see...I'll report back here...

And yes I am eligible for the 25% 💪🙏🙏

Heres another tip for you since you are getting a service as well - ask if they are a Euro-repar dealer - its a second line of genuine filters thats even cheaper than "genuine" Opel ones - as far as Im aware you`ll still get the 25% off the euro-repar filters. They are like an Opel branded OEM filter but still covered under the service club.

Will do - thanks for all the pointers.

• Advertisement

I went with a local garage in the end - all 4 wheel new discs & new pads for E350 - delighted.

I had checked in with Opel garage as a member of their club which affords 25% discount on part, it was still several hundred euro more albeit with OEM parts & warranty.

just found quote from Opel garage:

Advertisement