Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to New Zealand - money advice

Options
  • 01-10-2022 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi, I am travelling to New Zealand in December for a few weeks. I was thinking of putting money on my credit card but I think I will be charged every conversion fee every time I use it. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

Comments

I have found Revolut the cheapest to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

As above, revolut will be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

revolut the only way to travel, and you have time to get it setup now, id say theres very few places that dont accept them now, even rural iceland had no bother, enjoy it, amazing country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Thank you all for the quick replies, appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You can use Curve as well. I prefer it to Revolut because there's no topping up involved. You can put the money on your Irish credit card and link it to your Curve card and spend away without conversion charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware if your credit card has a positive balance and your card is cloned or number used in a scam then positive balance is not protected. A safer way is to pay off balance every 2 weeks so you are below the limit.

I always carry cash, multiple credit cards (sometimes your card can be randomly blocked due to suspicious foreign payment) and a working phone with internet so you can access online banking and rung credit card services in Ireland when card gets blocked.

If you are organised you can pre-book / prepay for accomodation etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Revolut and you can start buying NZD in the app.

Everywhere has Wave (contactless)

Advertisement