Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't stand desk jobs or Construction, what options are there between the two?

Options
  • 30-09-2022 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I've a Business degree, just graduated in May.

I started into an office job, it was inside Sales - wasn't for me, couldn't sit at a desk for a living.

I just started an electrician apprenticeship, 2 weeks in and I can't see myself sticking it out - no interest, guess I just wanted out of the office, can't see myself working in the p*ssing rain, dragging ladders, stooping, kneeling, climbing, crawling and pulling for 4+ years.

So I don't want to be stuck at a desk.

Also have no interest in hard, physical construction jobs.

I worked retail for 3+ years, no problem doing long hours, being on my feet, packing shelves, I'm honestly considering retail management.

Worked manufacturing - it was fine, but I feel it's so easy that I'd nearly worry about getting complacent..

One of the days I was left to my own devices to go chiselling away at wall boxes, just to get them ready for cables/terminating. Loved it! The day flew, I just just chipped away at it (literally). I liked the hands on side of things, and the detail orientated nature of the work.

I'm quite creative, I guess we all say we are.

I like people, but can work alone.

Interested in how Businesses run and operate, what makes them competitive, how they do it better etc.

Honestly considering everything.. I've only really got 2 hold ups - I don't want to go into something whereby I won't one day be able to go it my own, and I'd rather it not require another 4 year degree.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any form of rep job - sales, training that your existing quals would suit or help towards; or being a field tech which really just requires cop-on rather than quals. The latter could lead to self employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lidl looking for graduates for management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you liked the retail side, you should certainly go into management side of that. Plenty hard work but also opportunity to progress.

I believe lidl and Aldi offer great opportunity for managers who are switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I spent a few days with regional sales reps as part of my job. I think I could do it, but I don't think I'd like doing it, it's needing to be 'switched on' everyday, in that specific Sales type of way.

What do you mean by field tech exactly?

I actually applied for the trainee management programme during the summer before getting the Sales job, so I didn't pursue it.

I thought I'd rather the nice 9-5, no weekends type of gig, sort of kicking myself now.

I don't see them hiring for trainee managers, it's just the grad programmes, I haven't got a 2.1 and those programmes aren't in retail management.

• Advertisement

I did like it. I also worked in the same shop (something about Valu?), for those 3 years, made a lot of great friends, was known for doing a lot of talking. So maybe it's rose tinted glasses and the fact I worked with my mates (who I only met through work)..

I originally applied for the Lidl trainee manager programme over the Summer. But I got the sales job and cancelled the interview - kicking myself in hindsite.

I don't know what else is out there other than retail management though I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'd honestly advise against Retail Management. Its dead end, no real money, glass ceiling.

Jobs like Aldi / Lidl Managers are high pressure, burnout mouse in a wheel jobs.

There is more opportunity to earn more at being a really good self employed Electrician than a corporate cog in a wheel in Aldi. You are in control of your own destiny.,

You said you liked hands on so a trade is the way to go.

A good electrician/plumber will never be idle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on the role but it starts as being something slightly above 'have you turned it off and back on' tech support; but on the road. Either in general tech stuff or for specific products made or supplied by the employer.

Did it myself for 6 years, since then I've done either non deskbound roles (very specific tech/engineering jobs) or hybrid WFH (years before COVID and again now) roles as I can't stand doing five days in an office either.

I've heard that too, all my old supervisors and what not said it's not something they'd recommend.

I've also heard that about the trades.

One thing I think that's worth saying is, the trades tend to get a favourable viewing online.. 'it's great, out and about, be your own boss, skill for live' - but then the reality of 4+ years on poor money (well first 2 anyway), and the day to day of, up and down ladders, pulling cables whilst trying not to fall off said ladder.

Putting every bit of weight in ya behind a screw gun that's struggling to go through a steel beam. Carrying ladders up stairs, holding a fixture overhead while someone else fumbles with the screws. being out in the cold and wet, eating your lunch sitting against a cold brick wall sitting on a block on insulation, or a drum of cable.

I like working with my hands, I don't like any other part of it - with the exception of the fact that it's not an office job hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

What will give you most power and success in the end?

If you are concerned about where you eat your lunch, then you are not ready to make the decision either way.

Dont overthink it.

• Advertisement

Who knows?

I'm not concerned about where I eat my lunch, I'm just factoring in the day to day, what I will actually be doing for my working week, if not what justification is there for not becoming an electrician? Or anything else for that matter..

Some people won't detest retail, it doesn't mean they won't succeed in their chosen avenue.

This isn't to advocate against electrician, or any trade for that matter, I'm just calling it now as 'not for me'.

Oh that's quite interesting actually, I don't know why I assumed virtually all of those types of jobs were just desk based IT support.

That job was originally 3 days WFH, 2 days in office. I expected to be in the office more during training. But then the manager started floating about the 'yeah so 2 days WFH, 3 in office', which quickly became - 'look guys, we just got this brand new room for the sales team, we really need to be seen to be using it, but if for some reason you can't make it to work, then sure you can WFH'. That didn't go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Why not try for an industrial electrician job (in a factory, maintenance, breakdowns etc) - cuts out a lot of the downside of building sites, there's money in it and plenty of variety

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not many of them hire unqualified people and getting qualified requires working on sites.

The OP will have to go through the crap jobs like everyone else till they find one that suits. But they are building a bad CV with their regular quitting shortly after stating jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Going back to electrical work, the electricians have the best conditions on building site.

While apprentice will be left doing the donkey work for a couple of years, that is still cleaner and easier work than the majority of the trades on site and working 39 hours unlike everyone else who are doing silly hours. Once you finish apprenticeship, it's a great job with lots of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Kurooi

You could probably leverage your retail experience and business degree towards some sort of operational manager/ area manager position for supermarkets or chain stores. Lots of driving to supervise, meeting people, training. On your feet and hands on but out of the rain.

Try and stick to something, it will open up more doors and you might just narrow down on a job you like. Once you have a few years experience you can guide your career towards tasks you enjoy, or even shape your job to how you prefer to get things done. If you keep doing entry level jobs you have very little say in how your job is done and not much in the way of career opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

The country is about to be crippled with another recession take anything you can. Hating construction why?

It really is. From speaking to the lads, each one of them individually says they love it, it's just not for me.

I don't know, I hated what I was doing - hated being in an office. I just went from one extreme to the other, I went from 2k steps a day to 15k my first day, up and down ladders, carrying equipment, pulling cables and what not, it's not bad going.. it's just not for me.

I just know I don't want to be in an office everyday, nor do I want to be out on a building site for the foreseeable future.

I had thought of that but seemingly those jobs require retail management experience, not just retail experience.

I guess having a Business degree, and getting some management experience it could be a good, quick route of progression (at least compared to if I did not have a degree).

In my defence, I held my first job for close to 3 years.

That's 3 years on minimum wage, working late, working in a supermarket in the midst of a pandemic.. I'm not doing too bad. I only left for my 'graduate job', which was office based and ultimately not what I wanted.

The apprenticeship was a way out, but it was from one extreme to the other, and again, evidently not for me.

If nothing else I think these 2 experiences have at least taught me that I now know what I don't want..

I'm a little concerned that retail management is the 'obvious cop out', I've heard it referred to as a trap - a job that's easy to get into, hard to get out of.

It would be great if I could just 'do an office job', it was so easy, but outright draining at the same time, funnily enough I actually don't know which I hate more - earning €30k a year trying not to fall asleep in front of my boss, or earning €6.86 an hour and sleeping from the minute I get home - I'm also going to factor in the chest infection I've got, because it's just coincided with a week of cold, wet work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

I'm quite creative, I guess we all say we are.

A bit glib, perhaps, OP; but why not stick yer paw out for that 'artist' payment that's been mooted in recent times - should it manifest 🤣

• Advertisement

Could you chance it yourself? Do they distinguish between Artist and Martial Artist?

That being said I don't think I could not work (Not saying artists don't work).. I'd love to do more songwriting and performing tho.. Love to try writing and get into sculpting too..

The triallists getting it are long since decided, and no, martial arts weren't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Have you considered Bus Driving ? All you require to start is a full B Class licence for 2 years. Can be used as a springboard to different areas such as Supervision,Tour Guiding or H.R/I.R positions. Check it out.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement