Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about alarms and blackouts

Options
  • 30-09-2022 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi,

With all the talk of blackouts we're expected to get this winter, I have a question about alarms. How long does their backup battery last, and if it goes is there any way of turning alarms off? There probably isn't but I'd like to find out if there are any options other than sitting through multiple alarms blaring away in the dark.

Apologies if this was answered already, but I have done a search and couldn't find anything that answered this question.

Thanks.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Comments

Insert Code, alarm silences.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭davidconroy46

Backup battery should be replaced about every 4/5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically the panel will beep to indicate a loss of power. It will run on battery for some time, hours to days. If it lasts a very short time then the battery should have been replaced years earlier.

When battery goes finally flat the alarm typically sounds and the internal alarm will sound and so will external alarm.

If you put in code early enough you may be fine.

It's unlikely home will suffer power cuts this winter due to gas shortages. It's more likely large users such as data centres will be forced to use their own generators which they all have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Technically what actually happens is that, once the voltage from the system battery to the Control Panel goes below a certain threshold, then there is no longer enough voltage for the data link from the keypad to the Control Panel.

Around this same time, the External SAB will not get enough voltage and it will activate by itself and the Tamper return from same will fail at the Control Panel input, this will add another complication and the system will now begin another activation process, this will sound the Internal siren.

As the Data link between the keypad and Panel is no longer active, then the user code will not work on the Keypad and the system will continue to activate.

If the external siren is a modern one, then the noise from that should stop after 15 mins, as regards the internal siren that will carry on for as long as the battery is capable of sounding it.

I am afraid to say it is immaterial of when you put in your code.

I would appeal to anyone out there to get their systems checked over by a professional and as previously mentioned, if the system battery is not healthy or older than 5 years, then it is best to replace it.

Speaking with those high up the chain in the electrical generation area, their concern is a cold period with a high pressure system over the country, the wind generators will be sitting pretty in the cold with no wind to push them.

Advertisement