Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Range - Whiskas price hike

• 30-09-2022 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭

A few weeks ago the price of 2kgs of Whiskas cat food in The Range was €4.60, which was a real bargain considering Tesco, Dunnes, and SuperValu, were charging about €8.

When those three hiked the prices to €9.49, The Range hiked their price to €6.35, or thereabouts, still reasonable.

A couple of weeks ago, while the €9.49 price still existed in the three stores, The Range suddenly increased the price to €13.20, with one of the flavours selling for €11.

As I think that even €9.49 is bad, I'd never pay what The Range is asking, and our poor old cat isn't getting Whiskas any more. 🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Gamergurll

Prices are creeping up week by week I can't keep track anymore, that is a huge hike though 🤯

If its any consolation, whiskas is rubbish and nowhere near the superfood they make it out to be, its like giving kitty a daily dose of McDonalds! It sounds like it's gone too costly for you so irrelevant but if you were going to spend money like the new prices it would make more sense to make the stretch to the proper food brands. I'm a bit hypocritical saying that though, I Foster pregnant ferals so my kitty family can be huge at times, so my babies get the grub I can afford in large quantities, usually Aldi or Lidl Super Junk, if I recall it's €5.69 with Aldi that's the cheapest available?

I'm not sure if you say 'Old' as a term of endearment or if she's actually old but be gentle on poor girls tummy and change her food over from the Whiskas gradually :) and I apologise you might know this stuff about the food already and went in a while tangent, I love talking about my cats 😂 More on topic, huge rip off price hike, I wouldn't buy it on principle but I can be cranky like that! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She's definitely old, but we don't know how old, as she arrived on our doorstep years ago. She's now getting through a 2kg bag of GoCat that was reduced to €6.

I've no reason to buy anything from The Range now, as the vast majority of the stuff on their shelves can be bought cheaper in Mr Price, Dealz etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Whiskas is junk food for cats, similar to its Sister Company Pedigree being junk food for dogs and their Parent Company Mars being junk food for Humans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Most likely it is in preparation for a "half price" deal.

the range have a reputation in the UK for massive price jumps on certain items and then they suddenly go "half price" - effectively back to their standard price.

Tesco do the same on really crap wines where they price utter sh1te at 16.99 and then they magically are half price at 8.50, but in reality still dreaful value at that price. Domaine Arnaud (Tesco made up name) is one that stands out.

After jacking up the prices of goods with a sell by date, they might well be forced to go for a half price offer, or the goods stacked on the shelves won't be saleable. Of course, all the "bling" that they sell wouldn't have a sell by date, so they can play pricing games with that stuff whenever they feel the need.

The Whiskas shelves were always almost empty before the price increase, but now they're almost always full, as hardly anyone is stupid enough to buy the goods for the price they're selling the stuff for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's cheaper to buy a whole chicken and beef and make your own pet food than pay for those pet foods that are probably 2% meat and 98% crap.

Maybe you'd need to add some supplements to get the balance right.

Still.

If I were to buy a whole chicken and beef, my family and I would be the ones doing the eating 😜

I've noticed a substantial jump in pet food prices across the board.

I had a cat that was fed on Whiskas all her life, was never a day sick in her life and died of old age at nearly 19.

One of the two cats I have now has a chicken allergy (which is really chicken and all types of poultry) which is a pain in the ass. I feed by what she can tolerate the best. You can buy the most expensive brand on the shelf and a fussy cat (which most are) could eat it for a while then turn their nose up at it).

Mine eat both tinned and dry food, for dry food I give them Maxizoo's Premiere Meat Menu - it comes in chicken or tuna.

I see there's not even €11 Whiskas in The Range now, and it's all €14. They can go and do one 😛

Our cat doesn't mind eating GoCat, which costs €5.99 in Mr Price for the same quantity as Whiskas, and at €5.99 is about a third off of the usual retail price.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭red bellied

€2.76 for a can of whiskas in my local Centra and its over 15 euro for a 6 pack. Think it was €1.25 before the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I went to get a 6 pack of Whiskas cans today in Super valve, it's the only supermarket who supply the meat version, it was €14.. 3 weeks ago I paid €9.45... That's a jaw-dropping increase, its the only food my fussy cat eats. 🙀.. Used to be able to buy for 75c a can in Dezls before the war.

We've been talking about this over on the Supermarkets thread. I'm going to set up a separate thread on Pet food prices. Its almost impossible to get anything other than supermarket own brand tinned food anymore (which my cats won't eat).

They used to eat and tolerate Tesco's own brand tinned cat food quite well until a while ago, when they changed the recipe. Now they turn their noses up at it the second I put it in the dish. Anytime they have eaten it since, it makes them sick.

Whiskas 12 x 390g cans are available for €27.98 on Zooplus - which is approx €14 for 6.

For anyone whose cats can tolerate Felix, Zooplus is doing 48 x 85g (4080g) pouches of Felix As Good As It Looks Saver Pack for €18.99

Still expensive, but better than 40 x 100g (4000g) in elsewhere for €27.49

Advertisement