Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing in new house

• 30-09-2022 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭

Few questions, Just moved to a new place with oil heating, was trying to figure out how heating worked as upstairs rads weren't turning on,

Noticed there was a manual valve closed, but initially even when opened rads only heated a bit, seemed to get better after a while, noticed that the pipe supplying what looks like all upstairs heating is running the length of house in a crawl/storage space above where tank is downstairs to other end of house and back (looks like return), which probably explained why rads nearer were hotter than those further away.

That pipe is belting out the heat and un-insulated, with the return being cooler. I intend to cover/wrap in some insulation, which is best and where is a good place to buy? it looks like 22mm copper and some 15mm PVC? pipe off it. I've seen the lenghts of black pipe insulation almost like neoprene wetsuit material AND a grey foam in straight lengths in B&Q, which if either is better, as my plan is to stop some heat escaping out through the roof here in the uninsulated pipe before it reaches the rads, I've gone to heat merchants before for bits and pieces, but didn't think they seemed great on price. Is there a better insulation type or is one of these ok, and where is a good place to buy (kildare but near Dublin) as I think this is a quick easy fix to stop losing heat through uninsulated pipes exposed to near outside air temeratures.

Also, I noticed the expansion vessel in the hotpress with tank is fitted facing upwards and on the supply pipe? I thought this might trap air rather than if fitted downwards which would allow air to escape, based on it where it was fitted?

Other things are bare minimum heating controls (mechanical timer) and not sure if it affects things really but the balance valve for the HW tank is on the supply side, thought it should be on the return? not sure if that makes a difference. Plan to get heating controls in, seperate HW and rad supply and get thermostatic rad valves fitted where necessary, but prefer to wait until the winter is over in case it turns cold while work is in progress.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I guess to check the obvious, did you bleed the rads? The ones upstairs are brutal for needing it after being off all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

While I havent bled them yet, I felt the top of the rads and the temperatures were consisitent with the rest of same rads checked, I think it may be more of a balancing problem with some rads hotter than others, although I wondered if the expansion vessel which is fitted upwards may trap some air in there where some may get pushed out when the water heats and expands and then captures any air again the way it is positioned/located, as its not on the return line and its higher up, higher than the air bleed beside it.

Advertisement