Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a 17 year old become a sole trader?

Options
  • 30-09-2022 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

The title is pretty self-explanatory, I'd like to have an LTD but I believe I have to be 18 to own the shares (please correct me if I'm wrong as this would be ideal) and if I use a proxy I'll have to pay 33% of the companies worth in CGT. I believe I can register as a sole trader but I'm not sure about having a business bank account. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What sort of business are you thinking about?

is it a business, where if something went wrong, your customers or someone working for you could come after you for a refund or compensation? That’s why you need a Ltd company to protect your personal assets. But Ltd companies come with added paperwork and you have to have your accounts audited.

If it’s just you offering a service, like painting or decorating, then you could get away with being a sole trader. You can use your existing personal bank account as a sole trader.

Here’s a link to an Excel spreadsheet for accounts for sole traders/small businesses. Keep receipts for everything.

Any more questions, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OnlyTheRed

I've weighed up the pros and cons and after getting a good bit of advice elsewhere I'm certain that an LTD is the better option. I am under 18 so my main concern is legally being able to own/set up a business. If I can own my shares and become a director when I turn 18 for a limited company that's perfect but I'm not sure I can. Next best thing is to become a sole trader and when I turn 18 put all my assets into an Ltd. If I can't do that, my brother has already set up an LTD but to take my shares from him when I turn 18 I believe I'll have to pay 33% CGT on the company's value so that's a last resort.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your profit (roughly business income minus business expenses) is less than €5000 per year, then you do not even have to register as self employed.

If its more, then you have to register with Revenue as a sole trader and do full rax returns each year. I cannot see any reason why a 16 year old cannot do that.

Registering a limited company is a different thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 OnlyTheRed

Is owning shares in a limited company possible for a 17 year old?

Would be the best thing for me/my business.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

You may be jumping the gun and overthinking things

Unless you have stumbled on some sort of magic beans, your company will not be of huge value within a year. Running and growing a company that creates value takes a huge amount of work and time.

The value is in a unique selling point - simply having a website or a small sideline business that can easily be replicated, will not create any sort of value that would have you worried about CGT.

Register as a business name and if you find its working, simply open a ltd company when you turn 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 nicegood

a little young,can be shoes seller

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nicegood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

IMHO the issue here is that at 17, OP is considered a minor. That limits his ability to contract. I dont think there is any prohibition on a minor owning shares, but it may make any contracts in buying/selling shares etc not enforcable. It may also impact on the ability to set up a company. It would equally impact on entering contracts as a sole trader. Any contracts OP enters could be considered void because he is a minor.

OP - firstly well done on being interested in this type of thing at your age. We need a lot more young people setting up businesses and generating income and wealth. Having said that - is this a business you could wait for a couple of months to start, when you would be 18, and not a minor any more.

Advertisement