Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate new iob

Options
  • 30-09-2022 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Ok here goes. Left my previous job to go to a different role (within the same company) back in March and thought I’d like it. I hate it, 12 hours shifts, nights etc. and it’s boring work really. Literally hate coming into work everyday because of this and desperately want to get back to my previous position!

problem is, when asking old management for job back(they are hiring btw and need staff) they can’t do anything as they say “it has to go through HR” etc. whenever I email hr I get no reply and don’t know what to do hate been stuck in a job I dislike.

anyone been in this situation and what advice do you have/what to do. I can’t leave the company as the money is too good for the work I do and I wouldn’t get this money anywhere else for easy less stress work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Kurooi

Surely you know people on the inside you can ask to give HR a poke?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

Exactly. Too easy to say I sent off a couple of emails and heard nothing back. Escalate it if needed. Pick up the phone or head down in person if either is an option during a day shift.

Have you spoken to you current manager about this? Very often they would have most influence it getting something like this progressed. Most managers would not want to keep an employee in those team who was unhappy and would also prefer if they could be accommodated within the company. HR would generally just support transfers like this ensure policy’s etc we’re followed. It would be the managers who decide what happens.

One caveat, was the new role considered a promotion? If so the new manager may have more difficulty backfilling you than you might moving elsewhere, so while they would more than likely be willing to accommodate they would also see that they would risk being short for a period of time. This may have an impact on the level of work completed in that area and the rest of third team. So when approaching the manager it is best to be accommodating in recognising that it would gave an impact in your current area and discussing options to ensure cover is maintained during any transition to a new person coming to your current role. Rather than giving the manager an immediate headache, it would also bring the solution- unhappy employee moved elsewhere and transition to new team member supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Were you encouraged by anybody close to you in your previous role to take on your current role?

What we know is this. Your former management are in need of staff but are telling you that they can’t help you get your job back and to contact HR. You’ve contacted HR and they are ignoring you.

It looks like you’ve been done up like a kipper. You’ve been landed in a role that you hate. If HR do the hiring, they probably put you there hoping that you’d leave. You are now being fobbed off by both HR and your old management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

👆️this and should the obvious not be stated, that being they clearly don't want you back in your old position for whatever reason. I wouldn't pursue it further for your own sense of self worth, it's like trying to force an invite to a party nobody wants you at.

New job, get out of it whether that is through a new internal role or applying elsewhere, life is far, far too short to be working in a job you detest when you are fortunate enough to be living in a country with ample opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Are you in a Union ? Union offical could link in with company

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just the flip side to some of the posts above, if you weren't encouraged into this new role (ie you moved because the grass seemed greener), then I'd imagine your old team would like you back. We have it happen a bit in my industry and it's seen as a message to other team members "your job isn't that bad, moving for 2-5% rise mightn't be what you really want"

Advertisement