Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another bright idea gone to pot!! How to minimise my loss???

Options
  • 29-09-2022 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I had a rush of blood to the heard early this year and bought a 2002 Toyota Celica with a plan to do it up and keep as a classic.

I convinced FBD to insure it as a classic car, so I bought it and brought it home.

Car tax was due but I held off because there was a bit of bodywork and spray to be done by local guy. Fast forward a few months and needed some brake work done by local guy. In all this time, never driven.

Now tax is out since Feb 2022. NCT out since Feb 2022 also.

Next NCT available is October this year. What happens if it passes? Does NCT expire in Feb 2023? If so, does that mean I have to NCT it again, 4 months after it passing.

Tax is another headache! I need to tax it to drive to NCT centre. Will need to be backdated to Feb this year. So pay 1 years tax for 4 months driving. Yes, I know I should have declared car off the road , but. honestly didn't expect my "local guy" to be so slow in getting the work done and truthfully I was in no rush. Now I realise I'm responsible for this mess!!! I'm just thinking of getting rid of the car as easily as possible. Sale will presumably be easier with a valid NCT

What would you all do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,955 ✭✭✭User1998

Your next NCT will be due in February 2023.

You can just change the ownership to a friend and back to you and that will cancel the tax bill

Me personally I’d just drive to the NCT centre without tax and do the change of ownership when your ready to start driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Related to this. I acquired a car that the previous owner hadn't put through the NCT. It expired in October 2021. I have it booked in for October this year, about ten days before the due date anniversary. Surely they won't only issue a cert valid for those ten days, and then I'll need to re-test?

If that is the case, would it make any difference to reschedule til after the anniversary, or am I always going to have to pay for two tests?

[Actually, this should really be in the NCT thread. I'll move it now]

Post edited by Grolschevik on

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

If you do the NCT within 90 days of the February 2023 anniversary you will get a 15 month test.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Check the NCT page very very regularly, you'll get a cancellation. Could be for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't see the problem.

Tax easily sorted with change of ownership and back again.

I'm not sure on nct expiry for late tests but if it passes in Oct 22 then it should pass in Feb 23 again.

At worst you're out 55 euro for having to do 2 tests instead of 1 in a short time period?

• Advertisement
Advertisement