Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else getting random silent phone calls?

Options
  • 29-09-2022 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

From random mobile numbers, quite unsettling

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Scam calls, the computer voice will eventually kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

The last two have been silent and ends after 6 seconds or so. A problem with the scammers maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

All day yesterday but on the landline and oddly enough it doesn't ring the same as normal, slight difference in the pattern of rings to normal calls. It takes a minute for the voice to kick in from other side but a few of the calls just disconnected with no voice. They are all scammers, I only keep answering just in case it is somebody looking for me!

One thing that annoys me though is they do have my name, they start off by confirming they are speaking to right person by name. I've had a lot of dealings with a few utilities companies recently, the annual switch, so someone ringing me with different accent is not beyond realms of possibility so I waited to see what it's about a few times but when they start telling me about what I have in my bitcoin account or about my investments blah blah I just say goodbye and hang up.

None today yet so hopefully they gave up on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I simply don't answer private of unknown numbers. If it's important, they'll leave a voicemail. If they don't leave voicemails, I'm sure they have my email. After that, not important is my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Fallout2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

getting loads of calls from Norway and Sweden lately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Should answer, most likely a hotty on the end of the line, don't mess it up 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭garyskeepers

Ha,, i wish. 100% of the time, no audio and a hang up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is it possible that the spoofed numbers the scammers are using actually belong to real people? I added a few to WhatsApp etc and they have photos

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

• Advertisement

Learning info sec at moment. As an experiment I was playing at getting my phone called from USA going through a certain site via my pc, just before going to bed. Had it on silent for the night. Other things occupied me next morning, and then later when I saw a missed call from USA I thought to myself “not another of this scam calls” when I realised it was my own effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I don't pay my O2 bill and always receive voicemails. They can never get through to me because of the non existent reception in my area. This is why I don't pay them, I am expected to pay for mobile reception that I don't actually receive. It is the biggest scam imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

It might be youre ma ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No but I’ve been making them . For some reason the speaker on my iPhone doesn’t work in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sorry about that OP, but it is kinda your own fault

Would you not just stop answering your missus' phone when we are calling her up? what are we supposed to say when you anwser FFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

They can belong to real people, the numbers are randomly generated. If you called it back and got through it would just be some innocent bystander.

Advertisement