Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun refurb

Options
  • 28-09-2022 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

All, I'm looking for advice regarding a refurbishment of a o/u, which is probably approx. 1980s. I've had the gun a long time and it has lovely engravings so I don't mind the uneconomical expense of doing it up.

Is there any where I can 1. get the barrels blued (marked and some rust showing) 2. Have a new stock and forend fitted? (current stock has marks all round and is too short for me).

Likewise, tell me if I'm insane and I'll drop her into a dealers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

What make is it? Ardee Sports can do the barrels and tighten the action if necessary but you might find it easier to look for the same make and model being scrapped in a dealers and get the woodwork if its in better condition than your own. Otherwise, unless it's a premium make you will have problems getting replacement woodwork and you would have to go down the custom route which is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

This is one of these,"How long is a piece of string" situations. For the barrels, I'd look about to see if someone can Dura or Cera koate them.You can get gun blue finishes that look like a 1st class blueing job these days,and are 100% more durable than blueing. Finding someone who can do a good hot blueing here is a question and it can be pricey too. The stock, Pat Sludds is the fellah to see about shotgun stocks here and it is possible to add on some length to the stock by grafting on an extension if you don't mind a mismatched grain pattern.He'd also be able to advise you on the fore-end and the marks and whats an economical option

The marks, depending on how old or deep can be removed by refinishing the stock,or steaming the area with a clothes iron and a wet cloth if they are gouges in some cases.Its a question of taste,but for some guns why be upset about them?They all tell a story in guns life,and this obviously wasn't a gun-safe Queen from the get-go,its no shame to have them on it.

My 2 c

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

John conroy to re do the barrels and pat sludds if he is still open for the woodwork.

Advertisement