Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sound from back of car like a barking seal

• 27-09-2022 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

As odd as the title suggests,came from celbridge to dublin today,got to dublin and there was a sound like a barking seal from the back,no handling issues just that sound..would come and go,got home parked up,then took the car back out got 20 kms in and sound came back,like a barking seal,would go for a short bit then when i made right turns say on a round about it came back,then vanished when i slowed right down..real loud and as i say like a sealion roaring ,or barking..any ideas

Sound was defo from one of the back wheels

(08 lancer)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Firstly, I'm laughing through my phone at the sight of a car tearing down the street sounding like a barking sea lion.

Secondly, if you're sure it's from the rear wheels it's likely a stuck/sticking brake calliper, or a bad wheel bearing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does it sound like a barking *grey* seal or a barking *common* seal?

this is crucial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I'm really sorry I can't help you but the thread title has me in stitches!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe a seal has failed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Someone blew a seal........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

😂😂😂 Anytime something happened to my car i was asked what sound it made,and all i could say was ah a screech sound..pmsl..well now i can be more define in my answer..lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Just to add brought car for a 10 k drive there,was perfect up to around 8k,then when i took right hand bands that sound returned and ofcourse right hand sharp turns..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try to record the sound. If you have a YouTube account you can easily upload a public video to YouTube and link to it here.

If you need urgent repair then bring it to nearest back street garage and ask them to test drive it. It might be worth ringing ahead if you can and booking this.

Without a recording there is not much help we can give here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,514 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If it sounds like a clapping seal, it could be a CV joint.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭[Steve]

Could be a warped disc or just pads scraping. Not occurring until driving for a while suggests it needs some heat in it, so makes sense it's something brake related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have the rear end checked. Likely brakes worn or sticking or stone in brake or something like that. Don't ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Could it be tyre rub? Check the back left tyre for signs of rubbing. It may be that your spring has cracked and has lowered the ride hight on that side causing it to rub when cornering with a bit of speed. You can visually inspect the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch on both sides to see if they look the same.

i suspect there would be pronounced vibration in that case too?

Advertisement