Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryder Jug 2022

• 27-09-2022 7:46pm
    Administrators Posts: 392 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Boards Golf Society 2022.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ok all please find our team. We will update you nearer the event.

By the way thanks to the guys who said they were not available in advance - this makes life so much easier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Splitting this from the Golf Society thread to give it the focus it deserves. Due to crazy year in work I've had to push my annual leave to October so will miss this.

Arklow is a lovely course, deffo links front 9 that pushes to some hilly parkland holes from memory near the end. Enjoy the day and I'll be sending Whatapps for updates from sunny Key West!!!

We haven't a hope with that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Deadly, delighted to get in Captain. Won my only Jug match with Macker in Tullamore, but we lost to a retention overall I think.

Have enjoyed playing a bit of interclubs the last couple of seasons and enjoyed the pressure of it all coming down to our match on the 20th recently l, if absolutely gutted to lose.

I've just played Arklow the once, but it's a fun rather brutish links perfect for a match in late October 👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

delighted to be part of the team yet again.

im like the Poulter of the boards Ryder jug team….. and I even have the gear 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭bobster453

Freudian slip Fix???😀😀

Ah right..hmmmmmmm

Wont work now you have said it😂

• Advertisement

Reverse, reverse psychology.

Clever bunch, ye lot

Now it works Fix😂

Jug Update

So we will update more on Friday and Saturday - but to let people know that the Ryder Jug kicks off on Saturday at 1100 hrs in Arklow Golf Club. It is obviously late in the year - whilst this is not ideal , it is the only date that we could align. Next year we will try play the Ryder Jug much earlier.

The Reps are taking this one fairly seriously and we were told by them that when it came to the day they would "own Arklow" - they have been down a few times, feel they have home advantage and it would seem they have a higher handicap average in their society.

They are also holding the trophy - so they only have to draw to retain. So the Boards' team faces a very difficult task on a course The Reps predicted they would know backwards.

On the positive side - we had a very robust qualification process and are ready to play our best - enjoy the day and let our process give us the best result it can deliver.

I hear the greens were pole forked in Arklow a few weeks ago - so not sure how they will be.

The weather has looked awful at times and then changes to fine - Arklow Golf Club have been wonderful to deal with and it looks a place we should play as a society - I will definitely bring the Winter Matchplay group down.

The build up has been very cooperative - organising this sounds easy on the face of it - but for two societies to pull off anything like this in late October is a fair achievement.

Hopefully the weather is improving , I've a feeling the weather is like our team to The Reps - they don't know what to expect.

Saturday , is a logical end point to my last 13 months - It has been a great year . hard at times. But ultimately rewarding and something I will not forget for a long time. Thanks to all the Boards Golf Society Team - the members and the Jug Team. I'm genuinely proud of them all.

I'm going to end with something I put at the very start of my year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Best of Luck for the weekend guys. May the weather be kind and the golf bring the victory.

Cheers Macker

hope to see you return next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭spuddy4711

Since witnessing the outstanding skills of Kev_S88 at my 1st Boards outing in Carton House, and that of other great playing by Jug team contenders throughout the year, I’m convinced that this team of gifted players can best any other on the day. Good luck to all.

Best of luck guys..its coming home..its coming home.

@Fix

Whats the Winter Matchplay thingy?

It’s been going for quite a number of years although we are all guilty of not posting here about it anymore due to what’s app group…….. but it’s still alive

current format is 3 groups of 3, mainly dubs but a few lads from country and one lad in the what’s app group from cork who doesn’t even play in the league….. 😂

this is the most recent one I can find on boards, there probably is more recent.

we had this years final in The European where we all went out and played. Last years final was in Portrush….. where we actually held a few matches last week for 22/23 season

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/108539045#Comment_108539045

• Advertisement

It is a creation of a small group of lads on forum here who wanted to keep playing over winter ...it is Dublin based and Links based.

Small enough group and couldn't expand too much as we have limited days ...suitable midweek, weather and daylight .

We have a snowman trophy and the current holder is Space...he beat me well in the final last year

Seve

Myself

And Alan M have won too over last few years.

Golfgraffix always in the mix too and won over last few years.

A space on it come up the odd time and we post about it then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’m not a dub!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good point, I should get a walkover in our match then

That would be the Duckworth Lewis fix is cool method?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Richiemaloney

Best of luck lads 🏌🏼

On a group video call during covid, there was discussion about a ruling for when there's a tie break in a group, ie: what's the agreed way to find a winner. We were all half cut at this stage and couldn't agree on a way. It somehow became known as the fix-is-cool rule. If there's a tie and fix is involved in the tie then he gets through because he's cooler than the rest of us 🤔 ..it's not the most organised of competitions I might add.

Back to the Jug.. rumour is that there's a last minute venue change!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Best of luck to the Boards Golf Society team. There's been a great influx of members this year which has made for a very robust and competitive qualification process. Anyone who made the team has certainly earned their place.

We're behind the right ball when Reps are holders but fingers crossed Captain Pat can lead the team to victory and reclaiming the trophy. Enjoy the battle and keep us posted on how it goes.

ballyk

• Advertisement

Ok interesting 48 hours. First off fair play to Arklow Golf Club - who were great at communicating a course issue that had developed over the last while - heavy rain and high tides have resulted in drainage issues on the course - a course that holds up remarkably well under most conditions. It meant there was only really a guarantee of 10 holes in play.

Fair play to techno and the boards lads all sticking with it and trying everything to get the match played. All aware, that light and enthusiasm for such a match will fade away if we leave it even a week or two more.

So the news is we are in Portmarnock Links - and to be honest off all the places to try get a game in , it has a great chance of holding up versus nearly all the course you could think off on the east bound batch.

The European was unavailable - but we also had to consider playability and cost.

The weather is changing every 6 hours - but it has generally trended in the right direction to at least get the game played in the very least, in high wind - we are hoping the rainfall continues to trend down.

So all in all - a great achievement from our team to stick it out and for The Reps to be cooperative and determined to play. , we will update more tomorrow - hopefully the YR rainfall continues to fall.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Car packed and ready to rock and roll tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Wishing the Ryder Jug team the very best of luck in the match tomorrow.

Boards Golf Society Abú 💪💪💪

Conditions not as bad as expected here in Portmarnock this morning

Line up here in portmarnock links is

Team 1

Spacecoyote

Charlieirl

Team2

Doublecross

Pakman

Team3

R1986

Kev_s88

Team4

Golfgraffix

Ciano15

Team5

Fix

Thebigeasy

Team6

Roadrunner

Seveob

Well done to everyone who made the team! I hope to update soon with a positive result.

It's windy out here but conditions better than expected. I'm going to hit a few more putts and get ready for my tee off time in about 30 mins.

Full turn up in tough conditions...4th team teeing off...

• Advertisement

So, sadly The Reps again won the Ryder Jug - 3.5 to 2.5.

Two matches went to 18 so it was a tight affair.

In theory Portmarnock Links should have played into our hands - but conditions were fairly hardcore from from say the 4th to the 10th and I've a sense the team with more shots had an advantage - as greens in regulation were significantly reduced over this time.

The matches were played in good spirits - and there was a great sense of achievement that both teams had got the match done - on a day the planed course was cancelled and at times the weather looked unplayable in the run up. To get 24 players out to face that today was a tough days work.

Portmarnock Links was in amazing condition - and to be honest, we were all delighted with the change of venue. We also got great value thanks to ClubNet.

Myself and The Big Easy had a good game plan - but we seen we were up against 2 very experienced clever players. But in the end, we started playing our game and had a great run of golf from 2 to 13 that got us a good win.

The Big Easy played fantastic and was a very calming influence on the course. I had 4 or 5 good holes in this run - but to be honest, The Big had everything covered.

As it was clear we were going to win our match - I started looking around for more info - whilst the matches around me seemed to be going well , it looked like The Reps were establishing good leads in the 3 games they needed to retain - again, very hard to win that 4 out of 6 matches that is needed.

In the end, two games went down the 18th - and it was fine margins.

I'm typically a terrible loser - but I said , it is my last act as Boards Captain - I better snap out of that for once.

We had a bit of banter with The Reps - told them the truth that we felt we could win this one. We gave them a bit of stick about the non WHS handicaps - but that was only a bit of sour grapes and fun.

I'd like to thanks the team - who traveled - took time out of their lives , paid, practiced and got stuck into the occasion.

It has been a long 13 months - hard, enjoyable, rewarding, memorable. I had some amazing days on the course - met some new, great people - had many laughs and fun. Did too many speeches and talked too much. But --- I had a year I will not forget for a long time.

So thanks to everyone again - thanks to the past captains - the members, new and old - our sponsors ClubNet and Stinger Golf - all the Golf Clubs and managers that looked after us over the year. I learnt how important and how much of a difference the staff at the clubs can make to a day.

And back to the members - I said it at my Captains' day. The positivity and comradeship the members showed this year was a true joy - a new booking system - a new payment system - pace of play - turn up early - fairway finder - coaching day - Kevin Markham Exhibition - Friday Golf and Social - Post of the Outing - Captains Night out and sing song. They just bought into everything and went for it.

I think timing is everything in life too - and post covid , there seemed to be a need to try something new , escape, go for that adventure down the infamous back roads of a boards golf day out.

I know I'm completely OTT most of the time - but fair play to people who just went with it. Even when they felt a bit uncomfortable.

Next year - should be another great year , we have fairly good structures in place to help that now - and the many volunteers that keep the show on the road like , Space and Seve and Cathal , John S, Terry, Ken, Kieran, John . We always need more help - and if any more sponsors looking in, please get in touch with RoadRunner etc.

To finish off - I'd like to thank RoadRunner again , for taking my nomination without any fuss, he was already stepping into the role today with presence and pace.

I know next year will be special, but different - myself and RoadRunner are very different people and I love that his personality will shine as it always does in these situations. I picked him because he is a great golfer (and temporarily better than me) , he is a great character - I trust him - but most importantly, I know what he is capable of.

So that is it - In a world that is based around the internet and strangely disconnected - can be very cynical , can be angry , lacking empathy. The last 13 months has been one truly refreshing invigorating experience. Thanks all.

No More speeches - or posts - or crazy ideas or dreams. Thanks all - Only Paul Brady could sign me off - the way I feel now.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

A great post to sign off Fix

shame we couldn’t do the business today but as you say, very difficult to score 3.5 points out of 6 to win. But reps did that today and it really was right down to the wire. I think we won 2 matches handsomely, lost 2 close enough ones and out of the last 2, a loss and half on 18. It was really tight game.

Roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

A very fitting and poignant closing off speech Fix, unlucky today in the Ryder Jug and to lose on the narrowest of margins. Once again it has been a brilliant year in the society, a massive well done to both you, the past captains, and the committee for making this group run so well. Here's to next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Unlucky lads, looks like it was very tight in the end.

We'll get them next year 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭paulos53

Hard luck guys. You will get them next year.

I phoned Arklow this morning and they told me that there was 15 holes in play.

When I arrived, the 12th was flooded so there was no play beyond the 11th hole. So it was a good call to switch to Portmarnock Links.

Not all bad, as we got to play 2 loops of the holes In play at a reduced rate

• Advertisement

Kiith, you were a man that put more effort into the society than anyone...thanks, despite the logistics being on standby...

Amazingly enough ..we had 2 injuries this week ...so it was well justified.

Catch you next year ...what a swing...

What on earth were you doing in Arklow Paulo?

By the way, next year?

I am in Arklow for the long weekend.

Was hoping to play the European but too expensive. Planned for Macreddin today but it was closed. So I settled on Arklow today.

I played Rosslare yesterday and it is in great condition.

I had hoped to see you guys tee off today, until the change of venue.

Cool stuff.. an actual brilliant place for golf...but we probably are pushing our luck as clocks fall....

Agreed about the clocks going back. Tough to find a teetime tomorrow, as anything later than noon risks finishing in darkness

Where you playing...next

Hope to play Macreddin but it has been closed for the past few days. No backup plan right now.

Blainroe would be a good option but the members teetimes covers most of tomorrow

Incredible sign off. Incredible year. I might get you to do some of the speeches next year yet 🤔

It's hard to lose to the Reps again. They've always been fun, classy & good natured while being competitive. An important part of competition is that the goal you are trying to win is hard. And it sure is. One of the most positive aspects of the boards society is our perpetual battle against the reps, like a subplot to the movie. It takes a whole year to play out.

Thanks again to fix for passing the captains job to me next year and for the nice comments. Interesting observation that we are both different people 😁 Fix says he is a terrible loser. He is. I've often been told opposite, I'm a terrible winner. Apperantly on winning i develop grandiose delusions. Even develop my own weird smug-smile (some call repugnant). Not sure i believe that. I cant do it on command, but winning at monopoly or hand of cards can be all it takes, my detractors say.

I hope everyone gives it their all again next year and sets their own personal goal of teeing up to take the reps on again. Make the events, play well next year, make the jug team.12 months time, win your match.. and then you might let me know if this damn smug-smile that's been attributed to me is actually real 😀

Time to unsticky and lick the wounds

Well licked at this stage i reckon

• Advertisement
Advertisement