Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance for private use

Options
  • 27-09-2022 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that does van insurance for private use? I’ve tried contacting a few and they don’t do private use. It’s for changing from a car to a small van to use as a second vehicle for dogs, bikes, drum kit occasionally.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've never seen this question answered properly and it's been asked a good few times.

My dad has a fairly new van but he's already wound up his company and I'd be happy to buy the van off him as I'd have use for it as a second vehicle. I'm not sure what the tax implications are here and also can I even get it insured privately?

I'll have to get in to my broker.

Edit,

Just rang my broker,they're a big company and usually very helpful.They said they don't work with any insurance providers who will quote for a van as a private vehicle. I should mention I asked as a 2nd private vehicle along with my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Insuremyvan.ie does it.

My dad has van insured for private use, it's still commercial insurance though but he has private use listed. Has it taxed private too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭longrunn

I second insuremyvan.ie -- they will get you a commercial insurance policy for just SDP purpose (Social, Domestic, Pleasure). In fact, my current insurer refused me when I asked for a quote, but I still ended up with a policy with them through insuremyvan.ie!

• Advertisement

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Its called commrcial insurance as it is the insuring of a commercial vehicle.

So a private individual can get it. Just make sure it includes private and social use.

There are drawbacks.

1. No "driving of other cars"

2. Other people with private insurance can't drive it on their 3rd party extension

3.private tax is dearer. Still based off the old cc model. So a 2 litre be over 700. But a 1.5cc be reasonable

Advertisement