Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Learner Permit Driving Test

Options
  • 26-09-2022 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm on my second learner permit and it's expired the end of November. I received an email to renew my permit asap but cant renew because I need to have my driving test done (pass or fail) in order to renew for a 3rd permit.

If the waiting time for my driving test is longer than the time my permit expires what happens? That will mean my permit will be expired by the time I can do the test? Do I just need to apply for my test and schedule a date and bring that to NDLS to renew the permit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Not sure if this is still the case, but the NDLS site states that you can get a 3rd learner permit if you have either sat (and failed) your test...or applied for the test.

https://www.ndls.ie/learner-driver/renew-my-learner-permit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Ah yes I just re-read that in the email they sent me too. Will apply for the test tomorrow, I'd imagine there will be a big wait time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got a date within about 6 weeks of applying, in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Once you've applied for a test & are put on the waiting list, the NDLS will renew your permit for one year. Wait time will depend on the test centre - I was waiting 4 months first time (couldn't take it as IBT was out 😣) and then another 9 months to get a second - both in Cork (Ballincollig).

At that centre, the tester only does a week of tests then moves on to another centre (I think Dungaravan was the following week) so dates don't come around that often. If your preferred centre has more regular dates or less demand, you might get a test quicker.

Advertisement