Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does thos follow regulation

• 26-09-2022 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello, this spot is in a bathroom , above the shower ( no one was taking a shower). Following a loud fizz and crackthat lasted a few seconds, the fuse went with a mell of burn.

Is this type of wiring (electric tape, and I guess some domino under it) following electrical regulation?

This was done by a reputable eletric company 4 years ago. I thought all connection should be boxed? Am I mistaking.

Thank you for your feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

Not a great connection tbh. He’d have been better putting a flex on it and terminating into a coffin box. Hard to tell from here but ideally bathroom lights should be ip65 rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Frank12239887

Thank you for the answer.

Ip65 alright.

Getting paranoid that all the wirring is the same. The smell of burn, when it went, did scare me.

Thank you again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The "LLNN" marking would imply that the spot is designed to be wired directly in a loop and lighting loops are most commonly wired using solid-core.

Going by the spotlight manufacturer's guidelines, this is probably wired as intended, but the old problem of solid copper working it's way loose - probably initiated at the point when it was physically installed - is a going concern.

As meercat said, installing using a coffin-box would have been a better solution, but that would have added time & cost onto the job, so wasn't chosen. Hard to blame the installer in this case unless it was specifically down to an overlooked loose terminal.

I don’t think it’s a connection problem. I think the light itself failed. Judging by the burnt markings near the spring

drop another fitting and check for burning

can you post a photo closer up and is there a make on that fitting

...or/and isolate the circuit at the breaker and remove that blue plate and provide us a photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Frank12239887

Looking at it there is a burn on the side.

I added a pic after removing the cover and a pic with the brand.

Thank you very much for your replies.

The connections definitely aren’t the cause of the burning. I’d replace any of the same fittings that you have. Don’t use them in the meantime

Plus, it's rated as IP20 and not IP65!

To correct myself... IP20 behind the plasterboard and IP65 in front. So it's fine in terms of rating.

Advertisement