Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftp to Another PC or best way to trf files

Options
  • 25-09-2022 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭

Ok looking to transfer files from my PC to brother in another country and was looking at ftp both running windows 10

Was looking at filezilla is this the easiest way? Not sharing via google docs etc just want to be able to copy paste and thought ftp would be easy option. is it case we both need to get static address and open ports etc

Googling at the moment so just looking for input and tips

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Use Google Drive/Dropbox/iCloud/AWS S3 - it's much easier than FTP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Don't need static ip for ftp if its something you're gong to do as a once off on a given day or so. You just need to know your ip's at the time.

Easy enough to set up a quick ftp server and client. There may be integrated solutions like FileZilla or so but never used so not sure.

Depending on transfer size icloud, onedrive, google drive or such may be easier if one of ye already has one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This may be easy for you to achieve, not so for 99 percent of the general population.

It's much easier use a cloud storage provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I really wouldn't use FTP anymore. The browsers have deprecated it in recent years as it simply isn't the most secure way of transferring files.

As others have suggested, either use a cloud service or if you really want to keep it between the two of you, then you could set up a Remote connection between you using something like Remote Utilities:

and transfer the files that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

cheers used ftp ages ago for trf but times have moved on.

Can upload files to Google drive as capacity is 15gb and nothing that size. Not sure what my upload speed is.

Any limitations on files that Google might delete? I just have photos stored there at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

There should be no restriction* on what you can upload to Google Drive and Google isn't in the habit of deleting things on people without warning. If you hit the limit, you won't be able to add anything new. However they will pester you to buy more storage long before you reach the limit.

*As long as it's legal. 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I use sshfs for this kind of stuff. Does not require any silly cloud stuff and more secure. Not sure how easy it is to set up a server with windows though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Your upload speed is going to impact on the time it takes to upload any data to any location - whether it is the cloud or a PC in another country.

Google tends not to care about what is stored on it's servers once it is legal and they've not received a legal request to remove it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

loaded up file last night and brother in law abroad got email link to download and no issues doing via Google drive

deleted file when he got it so much easier than ftp

Advertisement